Advice needed on a haddonni.

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I got a small (6-7'') Haddonni from my LFS about 7-8 weeks ago. I am friends with them there and the manager showed me this one. He said that his invoice said white haddonni but both of us agreed it was most likely bleached. I don't think pure white is a natural color of Haddonni's I may be wrong. He told me he has had it for two weeks and it's mouth was closed and it was extremely sticky. He basically gave it to me to try to save. I brought it home and it footed within a day and eats clam stips 2-3 times a week (overfeeding to build up its strength). He would pull himself down almost under the sand when the lights were strongest during the day. My lights are 6 bulb T5 with all ATI bulbs (3 blue+, pure antic, purple plus and coral plus) 8 hour schedule Blue & antic - 8 hours, blue & purple - 4 hours and blue & coral 1 hour. I purposely kept it on the low light schedule for the haddonni.

The problem came about three weeks ago when I brought home a Sebae nem that looked healthy and was eating but wouldn't foot. Because of this I kept the powerhead off for the whole time only the return pump for flow. I returned the Sebae to my LFS on Monday but the haddonni released it's foot to move into a cave mouth and won't but it's foot down now. It has been a week and a half since he moved. My question is what is the best way to help him out from being bleached? Does anyone have any experience in that? Secondly how can I get him to plant so I can turn on the powerhead.

My tank is a 90g with 1 WP40 as a powerhead. Running bio-pellets and carbon. 90g is plumbed into a 30g sump and 45g frag tank. My parameters are:

Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites and Po4 are 0
alk 9.4dkh
calcium 510 (i know this is high gradually taking it dowm)
mag 1350

Been doing research and might have found the problem why he doesn't want to foot. I got advised when I set up the tank 3 years ago to put a layer of eggcrate under the sand to help the rock formation stay in place. Do you think he doesn't want to foot because he hits the egg crate and it is uneven?

Again any help would be appreciated. I will take pics and upload them tomorrow when the lights come back on.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White is not a natural color for an S. haddoni (( not counting the white striped green ones --- picture below )), so without a picture I would say that it is bleached.

Are you acclimating it to your lights at all? I would put 2 layers of window screening (( supported by egg crate )) between the lights and the tank, with taking off a layer every 5-7 days.

From what I have read those WP40 have a ton of flow, must likely too much for an S. haddoni. My current one (( have had up to 6 at one point )) is in a 65 with 2 MP10's, that never get higher than 60%.

Have you done any water changes and/or ran carbon since you returned the "Sebae" (( going to assume an H. crispa ))? I have never had good luck mixing an S. haddoni with another species of anemone.

What is your SG/Salinity?

How deep is your sandbed?

And those pictures would be helpful.

Back