Question about my anemone

EFSleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have 2 gbta in my 125, I was a week late on a water change. But did one yesterday and the problem got worse. Everything in my water was testing great besides my nitrate was at 10ppm and my ph was at 7.4 I did a 10 gallon water change and now ph is at 8.0 and nitrate is down to .5ppm. So here is my question, what would make them close up with the lights on and at night when it's dark they open up like normal. I've had the mother for over a year. it has split several times and I've never had a problem with them. I changed over from t5 to led in January and in the last week they have started this closing during the light span and opening with lights out. I originally had a tomato clown in the tank with them but it was becoming to aggressive towards all other tank mates, so I swapped him around for a maroon. Anybody have any advice that could help me get this figured out?

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of LED's? What is your intensity and photo period?

OP
OP
EFSleeper

EFSleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a diy fixture, wrapped in just a Chinese led housing. I started running the same hours as my t5 was running 11am-8pm but slowly been dropping it back. Right now is it set to 10am-7pm blues come on and off 1 1/2 hours between the white. I'm running 70% blue and 40-50% white. All I know about led in it is it 120w total in each fixture. I'm running 2 over a 6 foot 125 raised 12 inches above the tank with no canopy. I would have to remember the phone number of the guy who made the fixtures to find out what all was used, short of being able to tell you is it had 65k cree white in it lol

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say too much light, but I don't think that's it.

OP
OP
EFSleeper

EFSleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I thought too. That is why I raised them up so high and turned them down so much. Right now I stacked 3 glass lids to see if that will help any by blocking some light

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be just light shock and getting used to the new light parameters....a month is a bit long, but if you were using old t5 bulbs and a insufficient fixture to start with it could be the case....I assume it is not due to splitting etc. are they eating normally...even if it's at night? As long as they keep eating, you should be ok (in my experience). It's when they stop being sticky and eating when you have a huge problem.....I would probably drop the blues to 50% and whites to 25% and see if it helps....there is a HUGE diff in light penetration with LEDs and it might be just ticking them off.

OP
OP
EFSleeper

EFSleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But would it take almost 2 months for them to realize it. I was running a 6 bulb t5 before with bulbs that was bought in November so bookends wasn't old

OP
OP
EFSleeper

EFSleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to bump this back up. It's still going on and now if I add new coral they bleach out over a couple weeks. Any help would be great or somebody near by with a par meter that could come rest would be even better

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back