Not eating

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns are refusing to eat anything! I've tried mysis, krill, brine, brine w/spirulina blood worms i've even tried giving them regular tropical fish food flakes.They spit it all out! What do I do? Will they get hungry enough and suck it up or starve to death? I have a 55 gallon mixed reefed mostly inverts I only have 2 other damsel fish. the nice, yellow tailed ones, there's no fighting. :confused:

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? We're they eating before? Any changes to your tank?

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them maybe two Weeks, lfs hatched them so I imagine it was eating fine before, no changes to the tank since i've had them though.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they eaten since you brought them home? I would find out what the LFS was feeding them and try that.

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have ate a few pieces of different things, I thought it was a,size issue especially for the smaller one. so today I cut up a block of krill or shrimp Idk and the smallest still spit them out, the bigger ate a couple pieces but still spit a lot out. using the same food as the pet store crossed my mind but that's too much for fish, I don't need any more divas in my house, as long as they won't starve to death. Also can/will a bta reject being a host? My bta doesn't seem too welcoming and they mostly ignore it. I've seen the bigger clown go in a couple times and rub for like 5 seconds and the nem shriveled up

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any live food or do clowns have a general preference? Live food is a great idea at least then there won't be as much extra waste if they don't eat!

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any live food or do clowns have a general preference? Live food is a great idea at least then there won't be as much extra waste if they don't eat!

What did the LFS have them on?

Clowns are not known to be huge finicky eaters. As in live food, try some live brine...or if you have corals as well just get some reef stew from your LFS.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small are they? I don't know what your options are for live food. Pods would probably be too small, but brine shrimp will be big enough, and will be the most available. Pretty much everything likes those. Mysid would be great, but I've never seen them for sale.

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did the LFS have them on?

Clowns are not known to be huge finicky eaters. As in live food, try some live brine...or if you have corals as well just get some reef stew from your LFS.

Now that you say that, I have lots of cora I usually target feed once or some times twice a Week. I mix live plankton with 2little fishes marine snow, would they be eating that and i've just never noticed?
:eek: I swear i'm not usually such a terrible pet owner! i've never had clowns though, I caved for my 4yr old I wanted 200$ in coral she wanted 30$ nemos I couldn't say no. I know i'm weak.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well established is your tank? You might be crawling with live food. We have swarms of mysids and our crabs and shrimp breed often. They might just be full, the behavior reminds me of when our fish are full (biting and spitting out the food).

Last edited:
OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very established at all, maybe 3 months old. but I know I do have amphipods, well i've seen 3 only because they were caught inside a suction cup, I have no clue where they came from so i'm sure there is more

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be the answer, I would say watch their bellies, see if they are sunken or fat. That's your only gauge really. Clowns just aren't picky.

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But i've got 70lbs of rock, 40lbs live sand, and 20lbs crushed coral (in 55 gallons) so it's very stable

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown rejects food if it's to big (pellets mostly).. But will devour anything else it can fit in there. Funny both are not eating. Like it was stated, clowns are not known for being picky. If live brine shrimp dose not get them eating nothing will, so that will be your next step. Are you sure all your other parameters are good.... Ammonia for example??

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, if they are looking and acting fine, maybe they are getting enough food and it's their feeding response that has them mouthing food but not eating it. My yellow damsel does the same thing. It will always mouth pellets, but always spits them out. I used to worry he wasn't getting enough, but that was 6 years ago... I guess he's ok..., lol

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them both not eating is what really makes Me think they are just being picky *** holes, but they are other wise fat and healthy appearing. And all my icky stuff was 0 I think I might od dosed a little too much calcium on Friday but this didn't just start on Friday either

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys size does matter ;) they ate frozen baby brine shrimp like crazy even my damsels enjoyed the tiny snacks :) thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
lisa28

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, if they are looking and acting fine, maybe they are getting enough food and it's their feeding response that has them mouthing food but not eating it. My yellow damsel does the same thing. It will always mouth pellets, but always spits them out. I used to worry he wasn't getting enough, but that was 6 years ago... I guess he's ok..., lol

Haha I think all fish will stop being *** holes and eat what they got especially after six years :beer:

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of Picasso Clowns straight from the hatchery and they wouldn't eat anything for close to two weeks. Eventually they got hungry enough and ate. I'd ask the LFS what they were eating because they didn't get to selling size without eating something.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back