Mean clownfish

mochaclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocellaris clown fish has been acting mean lately. Every time I stick my hand in my tank to do a water change and vacuum my sand he always tries to bite me and has a few times. I dont know why he does this? Any help? Can I make him nice again?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to popular belief, Clowns are pretty dog gone mean.

OP
OP
mochaclown

mochaclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasnt happened before though. It just suddenly started coming at me and trying to bite me one day.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maroon clownfish that is 12 years old and wow is he mean. Not only is he mean he constantly moves my sand. That's just how they are. They are in the damsel family that is why they are territorial.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mochaclown

mochaclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. But it really bothers me that I can't do my water changes without being bit

GoingPostal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what clowns do, they are territorial little monsters and love to attack intruders.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. But it really bothers me that I can't do my water changes without being bit
I had a Clarki for awhile, I had to hold a gun on the dude to keep him from biting me during glass cleaning.

Chukwagin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four clowns, the smallest one is the only one that bites my hand. But he is tiny, so its just annoying how he darts at my hand. Sometimes I flick him away, other times, he just leaves me alone. I have this long glove that goes all the way up to my shoulder. I bought it when I first started reefing, its made so you can touch corals etc without harming them with oily hands, cologne, soap, whatever. If I know I'm gonna have my hands in the tank to clean the glass or move things around, I put them on and I don't feel him poking me. Not that it hurts mind you, but you wont feel a thing with them on.

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know what its like to not stick my hands in my tank without my clownfish going for them. They won't eat much :bigsmile:

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397631142.559877.jpg

This happens every time I put my arm within a foot of mine.
The lower ones were bleeding quite a bit at first.
And the saltwater made it feel even better

It didn't start until I gave them a Nem to host.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397631192.631549.jpg

Maybe yours have eggs or are about ready to spawn

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day my Gold Bar Maroon draws blood, off to the pet store for a trade in she goes. Lol J/K I love my Clownfish. Mine is quite aggressive also I can't stick my hands in there without her nipping me. I'm used to it by now. I was bothered by it at first, so I feel your pain.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is common Clownfish behavior. They become very territorial and will ward off any potential threat to their territory. That includes your evil hand in the tank (that's how the perceive it).

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! I've never had a clown that didn't put up a fight to protect it's home. Just be glad you don't have a Maroon.

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear the Ocellaris Clowns are the "least mean." Does this include all the color variants of the Ocellaris? Or are some variants more aggressive? I'm looking to get the most chill ones i can find, do i need to stick with the traditional "nemo" kind or can i branch out to Snowflakes or something like that?

Satyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon always attacks me when my hand gets to close to her anemone. She doesn't hurt just makes jump I should be use to it by now. Can they draw blood think their mouths are to small, mine about 4 in inches.

loreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest (female ?) Ocellaris started biting me 6 month after I got the pair, I try to distract her before putting my hand in the water.
While the smallest one will just hide in the anemone
Also she likes my ring...

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon always attacks me when my hand gets to close to her anemone. She doesn't hurt just makes jump I should be use to it by now. Can they draw blood think their mouths are to small, mine about 4 in inches.

Look like 5 posts up lol
And mine are WAY smaller than yours. I shudder at the thought of how bad it's gonna hurt when they get as big as yours.

rob7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black (percula or occellaris) depending where your from lol here in Australia there percula not occellaris
But mine murder fish all the time cranky *****

Back