Shrimp and BTA

roadkeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a RBTA for about 3 months and added a Pistol Shrimp about a month ago. Everything seems to be going well and I have had no problems until last night. I researched a good bit before I brought the shrimp home and could not find anything that said a Pistol Shrimp would harm a BTA or vice versa.

Last night just as I am turning out the lights I see the shrimp next to my anemone, but my nem is about 80% closed. Then I see the shrimp pinching and pulling at the edge of the nem's foot. The shrimp moved up on the nem and one of its legs went into the 20% that was open and the nem closed on it and the shrimp probably struggled for about 20-30 seconds until it freed its leg. That kind of ended it, so I turned out the lights.

This morning I get up and turn on the lights and the nem has moved to the other side and higher on its rock.

I wish my clowns would host the BTA and they could protect it, but no matter what I try I don't have any luck and decided not to force the issue, just let them be.

I am not sure if he is just aggressive or if it is normal for the shrimp to be mean. He killed his watchman goby at the LFS before I bought him. About a week ago one of my yellow clown gobies disappeared. I see the shrimp mostly at night and when I feed brine shrimp. When the brine shrimp hit the water he comes from wherever he is hiding and eats like crazy. Other than that he stays hidden under the rocks and sand.

Thank

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and spot feed the shrimp more. Pistol shrimps are usually very shy and secretive. Does he have a burrow?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Squishie. You must target feed your pistol shrimp! Especially if he/she is not paired with a Shrimp Goby. These shrimp have very poor eyesight and depend on their goby buddy's to feed them & protect them.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back