Dying sebae anemone?

oceandiver1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if this sebae anemone is dying? It has been looking bad for several days, now parts of it are turning brown and shriveled up like blades of grass.
IMG_1601.jpg

Nurse Payne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not usually a good sign. How long have you had it? What kind of lighting is it under? How new is your tank? Are your nitrates high?

If the foot is still firmly attached and the mouth is tightly closed, it might be ok. If either of these are occurring, that's a bad sign of a dying or severely stressed/injured anemone.

OP
OP
O

oceandiver1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had tank for 8 weeks, but was set up from an existing tank taken down and put back up same day with a 30 gal sump. Have had problems with nitrates, been running around 40 ppm. Started dosing with Nopox about 2 weeks ago.

We have LED lighting and leave it on probably longer than we should.

I have heard it can poison water if it goes bad, but not sure when to pull the plug as some of it still looks healthy.

Nurse Payne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move the anemone to a qt tank. If it dies in your tank, you're right. It will poison the water and can wipe out your entire tank.

I'm sorry. Sebae anemones are really difficult. Bubble tip are much easier, but I still wouldn't add one to a system younger than one year.

It was probably damaged during collection and you were the unsuspecting buyer. I would pay a deposit next time and leave it at the lfs for several weeks. They shouldn't mind doing this.

OP
OP
O

oceandiver1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he further deteriorated today and died. I will try a bubble tip next time after waiting until tank is more stable. My clowns are missing it though. Thanks for your help.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back