Adding another clown

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought there was a thread here somewhere but I'm not finding it. Is it possible to add a juvenile clown to a resident pair/bond pair? The current clowns are laying quite often and the juvenile is half or less than the males size. The additional clown has been in the system for a week but in a acclimating box.

cpayne015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can tell you here in a couple of days....i had 5 clowns total bw my 120 and 65 and then had one living my fuge. Have a pair of black ocellaris that i have had for 3 years and they will be the tell tell for me. I have added the 3 that were in my setup in my 65 to the 220 and they all sleep together now its pretty funny as the pair wouldnt leave the frogspawn but now since going in their new home all three hang together at the top. Today I will be adding my other pair so we will see, but have had success already with the 3

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff guys. Maybe I'll add the juvenile today with caution and nets if needed.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend using an acclimation box for a couple of days. this will let them see each other without actually being able to get at each other.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend using an acclimation box for a couple of days. this will let them see each other without actually being able to get at each other.
Thanks. The juvenile has been in a acclimation box for a week now for that exact reason. I use my diy acclimation box for all fish.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my pair kicked the juvenile out of the nem. No luck, lol. Wife gets a tank I guess, lol

Nvizn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L-3ZTw1qSOQ?list=UUisBXcbyaJQjp88nkzwsy5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nvizn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;L-3ZTw1qSOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3ZTw1qSOQ&amp;list=UUisBXcbyaJQjp88nkzwsy5Q[/video]

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank raised clowns are so much easier to do this with. I had a wild caught pair. The male committed suicide after a couple years. Shortly thereafter she killed his replacement. On the next addition I used an acclimation box and introduced a tank raised juvenile male. They are very happy together and make babies on the regular. He spent a week in the box and after no real signs of aggression I turned him loose.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, my pair kicked the juvenile out of the nem. No luck, lol. Wife gets a tank I guess, lol

That will be the case most of the time with three and even if it works eventually it will come down to this once two of them mature most of the time. most of the time it will also end up in death of the third fish unless the tank is big enough for the other to move farther away..

What does work sometimes is larger harems started out with juveniles. Two will mature and the rest stay juveniles and with enough of them the aggression will be spread out enough.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be the case most of the time with three and even if it works eventually it will come down to this once two of them mature most of the time. most of the time it will also end up in death of the third fish unless the tank is big enough for the other to move farther away..

What does work sometimes is larger harems started out with juveniles. Two will mature and the rest stay juveniles and with enough of them the aggression will be spread out enough.
Thanks shred. I'm just gonna get another tank up for my wife. She is attached to this clown and has interest in the hobby again after losing her maroon almost 5 years ago. As for now, this juvenile will hang out in the acclimation box.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back