I think my clown is sick

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Actually this is my daughters clown. It is part of a mated pair but it has been staying at the top for days, doesn't eat but no visible signs of ick or anything else and its belly isn't swollen. But it semi lays on its side at the top and acts like it can't swim downwards. We've had this oair for 2-3 years. Does anyone know what's up?

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently tested you parameters? No3, salinity, temperature? Everything else in the tank doing well? Did you by chance leave some frozen food out for an extended period of time before using it or refreezing it? Picture or video of the fish could help as well.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered the temp was low (76.1). Thermometer quit. Parameters are good but salinity was a little higher than they're used to at 1.o27. Normally it's at 1.021. I reduced the salinity down and am still doing so and it's at 1.025. I don't want to do it too fast. Plus I replaced the thermometer and am bringing the temp back up to 78. I hope this was his problem. I'm not the one who was caring for this tank, as I said it's one of my daughters and my other daughter is taking care of it untill December when the other one comes to pick it up to go to Texas.

six2seven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently tested you parameters? No3, salinity, temperature? Everything else in the tank doing well? Did you by chance leave some frozen food out for an extended period of time before using it or refreezing it? Picture or video of the fish could help as well.

I never thought that was a problem as i had done that a few times but the last time I did i lost two fish. one got sick the way the OP is describing when he just swam at the top not being real active. He was like that for 3-4 days and then i found him stuck to a powerhead after that

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope my daughter didn't leave the food out. She says no but.. I'm hoping this is a temporary issue due to too high salinity and low temp.

But that's what this one is doing. Swimming at the top acting like it's trying to get air at times and hasn't eaten today.

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought that was a problem as i had done that a few times but the last time I did i lost two fish. one got sick the way the OP is describing when he just swam at the top not being real active. He was like that for 3-4 days and then i found him stuck to a powerhead after that

Yes leaving frozen food out can cause some big problems for the healthiest of fish. If you leave frozen food out longer than you would feel safe about leaving a salmon filet out for yourself to eat then it's time to toss it.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think temp and salinity is your problem. My 34 gallon tank has no heater, no chiller or ATO. My temp and salinity are all over the place. My clowns have never seemed to be affected by it. Clowns are usually very hardy. I am leaning towards a parasite. There are forms of ICH that affect clowns that dont have the traditional signs of ICH.

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope my daughter didn't leave the food out. She says no but.. I'm hoping this is a temporary issue due to too high salinity and low temp.

But that's what this one is doing. Swimming at the top acting like it's trying to get air at times and hasn't eaten today.

I would look at other causes. 76 degrees to 78 is nothing, same with the change in salinity especially with it being over a period of time. A healthy established fish like you described could tolerate those changes when being dumped from one aquarium to anther with no acclimation and be just fine. None of which matters to your fish at this point though but there are some things you can try that might save him. Do you have a quarantine tank setup or a tank that you could setup? A quarantine tank would be your best bet with the fish not eating. Do you have any corals in the tank? Time is not on your side in this situation. A sick fish does not last long with out treatment.

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am considering putting him in qt with coppersafe. It's what I have ATM

Coppersafe is great at eliminating ich but will do little for a bacterial infection which we are likely dealing with. The clown may have a parasite but that would be secondary in this situation. You said there are no signs of ich on the fish right? I would first treat for bacterial so an antibacterial medication like furan 2 or something with metronidazole would be best. These are some of the options that I have on hand. Are you close to a local fish store? 24 hour Walmart should have something as well.
20140727_204641-1.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked all of them are not available at our walmart :( There is a pet store that has melafix by us but aren't open untill the morning. All the meds I have are prazipro, ich-x and coppersafe. I just threw out a outdated bottle of melafix less than a week ago. So if coppersafe won't help I can't do anything untill morning.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response. I was setting up the qt and just got a call back from walmart who previously said they had none of them. They did find melafizx 8oz. On my way to get it. Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in qt with meds. All I could get was Melafix for now and ordered some maracyn two for later use and if melafix doesn't do the trick. I have to say though, this morning before getting meds and putting him in qt he was no longer swimming at the surface. Still isn't eating however and every so often acts a little spastic. Not like he's fighting for his life but like he's over exaggerating the way he normally swims when swimming in place, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did something similar a few weeks back but would alternate between the top and bottom. Thought it was swim bladder but the female followed suit. I treated with Paraguard. Was to late for the male the female got worse but got better. I agree try anti bacterial and fungal. Heat and Salinity won't cause that. I found my pH had dropped. Don't know that it was the cause but a water change and full test won't hurt.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back