New Bubble ok?

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got this bubble tip yesterday, it finally settled in this spot below and was looking great and attached itself to the rock below.
This morning it was sagging a little but the foot is still attached and it looks like it chose this spot.
20140727_114144.jpg

After the lights came on today after a few hours it looks like it is either trying to pull into the rock and hide, or it is shriveling up?
Does this look normal? This is my first nem. Bottom pic is sideways so the bottom is what is looking shriveled.
20140727_134512.jpg

Last edited:

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine. BTAs will inflate and deflate. If it wanted to it could fit into a very small opening between your rocks. The fact that it settled there and isn't moving is a good sign.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like it's probably settling in....the mouth is a little more open than ideal so keep an eye on it. nems will expand and contract pretty regularly so don't worry about that. Mouth should be tight and closed - as stated though, it's probably just acclimating to your tank - beautiful anemone and you're lucky that it does seem to have already picked a spot and it seems to be in a visible location (always a major plus :)).

you posted the additional pics after my post - I know it doesn't look good based on what I said about the mouth but just keep an eye on it, it may be expelling some stuff as it adjusts......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean expelling some stuff? is that ok? what should be looking for and/or doing or adjusting anything?
or just wait?

Last edited:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes the nems will expel waste - and it's ok and normal - I'd just wait and keep an eye on it. I would not feed it at least for a week - I usually try to feed mine a little frozen mysis about once a week or so. I know many times people will feed their nems more frequently but it's not needed. Based on the pictures and its quick attachment - you have a healthy nem that's just getting used to its new home :)

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instagram, I guess you dont.
Another question...
Is there a chance my Wyoming clowns will show interest in the nem? So far they haven't even looked at it, And the nem positioned itself right under where the clowns always stay.
150 tank and they never move from the left side of the tank....

Edudek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406534432.748622.jpg
my clowns don't want anything do with these guys

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm..... So somewhere between 1am and 5am this morning the nem decided to move out of its awesome spot. I peeked in on my way out and could not find it so I got worried after reading plenty of stories on how they can get into overflows etc...
So the good news is, it is still in the tank. I found it inside of one of my made up caves. Bad news is I could not find my Blue Hippo Tang....
I only had 2-3 mins to look before I had to run for the bus, but I really really hope it didn't eat my tang, she was a babby and has grown from dime sized to a little over a quarter very quickly.
If it did eat my tang, and/or it will continue to move randomly like this I may have to consider trading it or bringing it back to the store.
I have 3 Goniopora in the tank and 1 Crocea clam. I plan on getting some Frog Spawn, maybe a hammer and definitely more clams.
I am not sure i will be comfortable with the BTA swimming at night eating on its own and maybe attacking a clam...
Thoughts?

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo hoo, Dori is alive.
Im still worried about where the nem placed itself though. It is in the cave shaded. Also I really do not know about it moving all the time, i plan on getting more clams soon. I have read around and some people say it will be fine, but there are still readings out there saying to be careful.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay for Dori! It's not common for nems to just eat fish (carpet anemones may) but not bubble-tips - they may if a sick fish gets very close - that it's moving about is also common - it's a pain but they will move about to find a place. I know it's hard but just let it do its thing and try not to mess with it. If your environment is conducive to the nem, it will settle down and attach - they normally just don't swim around all of the time. I don't know about nems and clams but I don't think it's problematic to keep them together.

In terms of your clowns, they may eventually find the nem or they may ignore it and the nem won't ever host. As with most things in this hobby, you need to patient - it took my clowns almost 4 months to finally find the nem and settle in. I've made this suggestion before - it's very simple and can't hurt to try - tape a picture of a nem hosting a clown near by where your clowns spend a lot of time.

hopefully, your nem will find a good spot again and settle in.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am guessing my BTA likes to be in the cave.... It hasnt moved from in there. I cant see its mouth at all, but I can see a few tentacles/bulbs. It is inflating and deflating daily. I turned off pumps and powerheads and basted some shrimp into the cave as close as i can to its tentacles but i cannot confirm anything.
I am guessing it did not like the flow while it was outside the cave and likes the less flow from inside the cave. The color from what I can see is still great but i know only 1 side of the nem is catching light off of the back side of the cave.
I have since added 2 new clams, a Aussie Hammer, Aussie frogspawn, Acropora and a Sun Coral.
All this nice looking stuff but my BTA wants to hide.. :-(
I will not mess with it and just let it be. I assume if it is not feeling well or not getting what it needs it will try to move, otherwise i deem it happy in there.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh another question though:
How bad is the sting from the BTA to a fish?
My adult majestic angel passes by the BTA side of the cave all the time. I know for a fact it touches it when it passes but she just goes on her way.
She is the boss of the tank and goes where she wants, and she frequents that cave and the opening the BTA is attached to as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back