Picasso Clownfish Adventure

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my adventure in the wonderful world of designer clownfish, mainly Picasso's.

So in this thread, I will try and update regularly with pictures, provided that I don't get lazy taking out the DSLR.

DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0742.jpg

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice!

I am wanting to add Picasso's to my system... how many juveniles should one start with to help insure getting a bonded pair?

One of my LFS is having a special on them which ends tomorrow so I am planning a trip to see how they look and hoping to pick up at least 2 :becky:

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BODI,

If you get your clowns around 1" - 1.5," all you need is two. After a few months of being together, the dominant one will turn into the female and start to grow alot bigger than the male.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my trio with a lone bangi chillin in the background.
DSC_0762.jpg

My Picasso Extreme patrolling his new home while searching for food.
DSC_0780.jpg

I like how the Picasso Extreme is going vertical on the other Picasso. If I didn't know better, it looks like he is going to drop the hammer (caudal fin) right on top of his forehead.
DSC_0838.jpg

Here are some of the clowns in clockwise position (C. Vossen Picasso, Aqua Exotic Picasso B grade, Reef Raft Picasso & Darwin Occi).
DSC_0846.jpg

Solo pic of my little Picasso.
DSC_0852.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great pics! Can you tell us a little more about the tank? What size is it? What are you doing to avoid aggression in the clowns as they mature? A FTS would be cool too! This looks like it's going to be a fun thread to follow! :)

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Wes! Still love that tank of yours.

Thanks, I was debating on selling off the corals and just throw in a handful of RBTA's and BTA's, but I'm afraid of them getting sucked into my (2) mp10's and nuking the tank.

Nice selection of clowns. Have you seen any aggression between them?

Yes, I have noticed some aggression since my clowns are all different sizes. I have (1) AC110 where I would house the ones that show major aggression. I would place them in there for a week or two, then try to re introduce them with a breeder box that I picked up at PetSmart.

The item is called "Top Fin Aquarium Mesh Breeder." The dimensions are 6.5 in x 4.9 in x 5.1 in and hangs into the display tank.

Great pics! Can you tell us a little more about the tank? What size is it? What are you doing to avoid aggression in the clowns as they mature? A FTS would be cool too! This looks like it's going to be a fun thread to follow! :)

My display tank is a standard 40 Breeder (36" x 18" x 16") that I purchased from Petco over 2 years ago. I have a build thread on here somewhere.

Let's see, to "avoid aggression...as they mature" all that I am doing is feeding them 3 times a day. At the top left hand side of the tank, I have a nepthea that the Picasso Extreme is hosting, In the center of the tank I have a 25+ head hammer coral that the Picasso B grade hosts and on the right hand side of the tank, I have a pretty large toadstool that the C. Vossen Picasso hosts from time to time.

My plan is to have about 6 designer clowns in the 40 Breeder (I'll probably give up the Darwin Occi, since I'll be acquiring a Bali Picasso and Magneto soon). If aggression increases between the clowns, I will pair them off, separate the tank with dividers and try my hand at breeding.

I am also in the market for a DSA 105. If I could find a good deal, then that will be the new breeding home for my designers. Or I would sell off all my corals, purchase and plumb 3-4 10 gallon tanks and call it a day.

Last edited:

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking clowns. If i start another tank I think Picassos will be what I get.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a FTS picture, but I will include something even better...video.

I finally introduced my Bali Picasso Clownfish into my DT. I had her swimming around a PetSmart Top Fin Aquarium Mesh Breeder box for 2 days. I wanted to see how the other clowns would react to her. What surprised me is my Picasso B grade immediately swam up to the mesh breeder box and started chillin up there. The next day, I noticed my Picasso Extreme chillin at the top and even picked that spot to sleep with the Bali and B grade.

Well, I finally released the Bali (she is a large 2.75" - 3.00"). So far she is playing nice with all the other clowns. I will continue to monitor to see if there is any aggression.

[video=youtube_share;5eW4qIiD28o]http://youtu.be/5eW4qIiD28o[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful clowns!

Thanks Fishroomlady. It was very difficult at first to find out who were the ones selling these beautiful creatures. Now, there are clowns falling from the sky.

I came up on a Bali Picasso from a reefer here on R2R.

Polyp Addict

Got Polyps?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Wes, where can I get a pair of the extreme picassos? Been looking for some, lmk thanks!

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Wes, where can I get a pair of the extreme picassos? Been looking for some, lmk thanks!

I picked up the Picasso Extreme from my lfs, Neptune Aquatics. They have one Extrme left, but it doesn't have the face markings (no chin strap or half mask).

I recommend going to YouTube and search for Picasso Clownfish. That is where you can find some of the breeders.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I learned a very important lesson about clownfish. It is very risky to house more than two at any one point in time. Unfortunately, all the clowns above eventually went spider monkey on each other and boy was it bad. Well, after months of hunting and slowly selecting each beautiful specimen, I now have a new batch of Bali black Picasso's, Bali Nebula's and a Clownfish USA Magneto Picasso.

I am in the process of pairing them together and separating them so no more battles.

Here are a few pictures. Enjoy.

Group pic 000.jpg

Group pic 001.jpg

Back