Clownfish Breathing hard

kosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an issue with one of my clowns, I have 2 Snowflake clowns, the female or at least the larger of the 2 and what seems to be the more dominate one, started breathing a little harder than normal and not eating for the last 2 days. Tank parameters are on target I am about due for the weekend water change (scheduled for Saturday) changes are done 3 gallons every other week. All other inhabitants are doing well, eating well and acting normal. Her color seems to be perfect, Fins fully open or up, I do not see any "white spots" or any other symptom that should concern me, just the not eating and heavy breathing I have had them now for about 2 months with no new additions to the tank other than a reverse superman montiopra about 1 month ago. She does swim between the Anenome mushroom their most hosted spot and the Torch coral the other spot they seem to hang out at during the day. Funny behavior when the lights go low they hit the mushroom for sleeping the lights on, play in torch. Love the clowns but need some advice from some more experienced clown keepers. Hopefully I provided enough information, if you need anything else please ask.

Other Inhabitants:
2 Snowflake Clowns
2 Azure Damzals
1 Algae Blenny
2 Red Bubble tip Anenome (first one split after about a month)
various Mushrooms
Various Zoantids
Armor of God Palythoa
Hammer and Torch Coral
Anenome Mushroom (at least that is what I could find it called online closest resemblance)
CUC

Tank:
28 Gallon JBJ Nano
JBJ Factory Filtration
Add on Vortech MP10w
Kessel 360 Lights
HOB Aquamaxx skimmer

Edudek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ride it out and see if it slows down. Just keep an eye on the one that's getting beaten on. Make sure his fins are getting torn up

OP
OP
K

kosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry no one is beating on anyone, I have 2 clowns one is smaller than the other the larger one just seems more dominate, the little one kinda always follows her around doing what it is "told" the worst i have seen is an aggressive posture and an ok, ok, thats cool running away. The larger one I think is the female, she is the sick one.

I am really hoping that this is some sort of phase, they do seem to be a pretty good pair, always sleeping together and more or less together in the tank at any given time. my biggest concern is the no eating, they usually eat like pigs

Edudek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do it sometimes when they chase each other around the tank or when I do water changes and they get freaked out.. They should be fine about the eating have you tried different foods.. Pellets frozen foods

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an eye on her. as edudek asked, are you giving a variety of foods? It is odd when a fish just stops eating so I'd monitor closely.

OP
OP
K

kosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing pellets today, I tried a new mysid yesterday not the normal brand that I have used forever. I normally keep that, clam, baby brine, and something else like blood worms on hand along with some algae wafers.

I will be keeping an eye on her for the next several days until she is better or I can't find her in my tank (Have a great CUC) Thanks for all the input, I have had this tank up for about a year and a half, this is my first go at clowns and other than the little bit of reading I have done, i have no real experience with them. I waited so long because I wanted to get the Nem as well when i got the clowns(not that it mattered) I had to wait until my tank was mature and stable and I had a little experience with the basics of keeping my water stable. Just hate it when for no good reason far as I can tell that something wrong.

OP
OP
K

kosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing pellets today, I tried a new mysid yesterday not the normal brand that I have used forever. &nbsp;I normally keep that, clam, baby brine, and something else like blood worms on hand along with some algae wafers. &nbsp;<br><br>I will be keeping an eye on her for the next several days until she is better or I can't find her in my tank (Have a great CUC) Thanks for all the input, I have had this tank up for about a year and a half, this is my first go at clowns and other than the little bit of reading I have done, i have no real experience with them. &nbsp;I waited so long because I wanted to get the Nem as well when i got the clowns(not that it mattered) I had to wait until my tank was mature and stable and I had a little experience with the basics of keeping my water stable. &nbsp;Just hate it when for no good reason far as I can tell that something is going wrong.<br><br><br>

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates? it sounds like you're giving a good variety. If you changed foods, maybe she didn't like it. Clowns in general are pretty hardy fish.

OP
OP
K

kosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is about the same, kinda laying around in her mushroom swimming around now and then, still not eating. I went ahead and did a water change yesterday and went and purchased the normal food again to see if that helped. I am still not sure, nothing "looks" wrong. No white spots, no other changes to her outside, the top fins are all up, not clamped down like i would expect if there was something wrong. I am just not sure these are the first clowns i have owned.

Thanks for asking, any other thoughts?

OP
OP
K

kosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is eating again, I went and purchased the normal frozen food and all is back to normal, thanks for all your help

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back