Getting clowns to host!

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some non invasive ways I've read to try to get my stupid clowns to host my new beautiful rbta.

I read keep the light on over the nem at night.

Also try to put the nem in the area the clowns sleep.

And last but not least the black rectangle is my iPad playing endless videos of clownfish hosting nems on your tube if this doesn't work in a day or two I'll remove both clowns and the nem and force host I guess!

Whatcha think? Any other advice or tactics?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if there's a surefire way to get them to host. I've read them you can put the nem and clowns into a smaller space to force them to interact but even that's not definite. How long have they been in the same tank?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put my nem where my clown liked to be and within two hours it hosted. Watch it when i feed and i see it feed the nem and if i have to do anything in the tank and get too close get attacked

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of clowns? Having a natural host goes a long way.

Also, I would not force them to be hosted -- by putting them in a confined space with the anemone -- could very well end up with eaten clowns.

FYI --- the anemone does the hosting, not the clowns.

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say just put them in a small place. I put the live rock my Anenome attached to, and my clowns in a small pail with an air stone and in 1 hr they were hosting. That was a year ago and they are all great.

That's what's next. I don't doubt that some anemones will eat a clown fish but I don't think btas do that! Thanks for the advice though!

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of clowns? Having a natural host goes a long way.

Also, I would not force them to be hosted -- by putting them in a confined space with the anemone -- could very well end up with eaten clowns.

FYI --- the anemone does the hosting, not the clowns.

They are the generic false Percs from the store that are cheapest ;) and I know they truly host the giant carpet anemone but they're also COMPATIBLE with btas

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if there's a surefire way to get them to host. I've read them you can put the nem and clowns into a smaller space to force them to interact but even that's not definite. How long have they been in the same tank?

They have been in the same tank for just over a year. Symbiosis is the most beautiful thing basically the reason I got into saltwater.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what's next. I don't doubt that some anemones will eat a clown fish but I don't think btas do that! Thanks for the advice though!

Has seen a couple of threads over the years of E. quadricolors doing just that --- again, not something I would ever recommend.

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has seen a couple of threads over the years of E. quadricolors doing just that --- again, not something I would ever recommend.

Yea well I'm not going to force them in persay. Maybe just confine the space a bit and see if I can speed up their process I see and have read it's about a 90% success rate within an hour or so they host and never leave it

Irsug1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my clowns a year to hose my sunburst. I tried everything and it just happened one day. Patience is what I preach to his.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hosted almost instantly when i added it. After. The lfs told me several times my clown would never host it. Just luck maybe ???

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time is definitely a big factor - I'd actually give the video at least a week :) Having the nem in the same area where the clowns stay can be helpful. Having a nem host that quickly is pretty lucky reefer especially if the nem is not a natural host.

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are your clowns "tank raised"? If so then that could be your problem. tank raised clowns dont always host. I had a pair of Wyoming white clowns that never hosted, but yet the gold bar wild clown I bought hosted immediately. I was told that i could post some pictures on the outside of my aquarium of nems and maybe with the wild clown showing them how, along with the pictures to indicate there is plenty to go around, that maybe they would host....never happened though. good luck!

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bubble tip for 2 weeks and I mismanaged it and killed it accidently. But my clowns never paid attention although it was very close. On the other hand they love this magnet cleaner....
20140820_192309.jpg

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe i have a sebae ? Which i was told would never be hosted. It took seriously a few hours while feeding the fish i i put a piece of krill in for the nem (dropped it in accidently ) the clown picked it up and brought it right to him. Since then they have been best buddies. My other clown wont go inside it. But hell hangout around it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back