Long Finned Clownfish not far from your store.

Fincasters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick discussion with the man behind the long-finned clownfish.[video=youtube_share;bXjBanC9R-E]http://youtu.be/bXjBanC9R-E[/video]

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unnatural. Wait till a pair of these are released into the wild. That'll be a boon for the hobby. Pass.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't say I'm a huge fan of them, or clowns in general, it is very interesting and different. Look at all the various dogs and goldfish we have available to us... Someone will really like these fish and that's awesome. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Unnatural. Wait till a pair of these are released into the wild. That'll be a boon for the hobby. Pass.
These fish wouldn't last two seconds in the wild. They stick out like a sore thumb to predators, and other clownfish would not accept them. At one point or another wild clowns have likely been born like this, however since there's no benefit to the species the mutation is not passed along (again, because the fish don't last long) :)

Last edited:

Danh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wrong! If the long fins were nicely shaped and not tattered looking then it might just be ok for some people. But even then I would still prefer the original short fins. It's already perfect as it is. Don't need to improve it :)

domingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with stunreefer, but the breeders are doing a good job in breeding fishes so collection will not be needed anymore...

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wrong! If the long fins were nicely shaped and not tattered looking then it might just be ok for some people. But even then I would still prefer the original short fins. It's already perfect as it is. Don't need to improve it :)

the fins are torn because with long fins they cant swim well so other fish pick on them they are also recommended to be kept in low flow tanks because of this....
personaly I dont like them at all but then again a pair in a sh tank would look cool

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unnatural in the sense that a labradoodle is unnatural.
labradoodle.jpg

I think selective breeding, which is how I think one ends up with a long finned clown fish, is genetic modification. The fish may not be the result of genetic engineering. I mean I doubt anyone is isolating DNA and injecting embryos or whatever, but to me, it's just unnatural.

Heck, maybe it is a naturally occurring fish. If so, sor-ry.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since.you guys are against this, are you against the new species ora has made over the years?

Gonna nit-pick here...

They haven't created any new species, just different color morphs of existing ones, or hybrids.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since.you guys are against this, are you against the new species ora has made over the years?

Yes. :(

I like ordinary ocellaris clowns. My trio of them is one of the more interesting things in the tank to observe.

Unnatural? I didnt hear them say they genetically modified it.

The original one was a natural mutant. I wouldn't say it is any more unnatural than a two headed cat. I don't want one of those, either.

Last edited:

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to worry they are going to breed clownfish to the point where they end up like freshwater fish. Cool fish but don't think it'll be worth the $200 price tag for 1.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the long-finned are definitely ugly imo. however, I am a fan of the hybrids - I don't have any but really like them. I also own a goldendoodle :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back