True Perc Pairing

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 2 juve true percs in June. Lost one to brooky the first week (very sad, I was away for 3 days and my wife wasn't able to diagnose quickly enough), but the other has been as been as fat and happy as can be. I really wanted a pair, but I decided to wait and let the one mature and turn female.

I don't have any other clowns in the tank, and given the size and time I was fairly confident the turn had taken place. She (hopefully a she) has been fat and happy since June. I told my LFS to start looking for nice juve true percs about 6 weeks ago and they got 3 in about 10 days ago. I picked 1 I liked, put it on hold for a week to make sure it was healthy enough to bring home. The new guys is probably 70-75% the size of the original fish from June.

Got him in the tank last night right before lights out. Initially both clowns went to a hammer coral and looked like they were going to instantly pair and host in the hammer. About 10 minutes later the female (bigger one from June) started fighting/picking on the new guy.

Lights went out and they separated to "sleep". This morning there were a few noticeable marks on the new guys' fins, but he looked ok overall. I watched them for about 2 hours this morning before I needed to leave. There would be a few minutes of fighting/antagonizing by the female, followed by some relative calm, and then fighting again.

Strangely, I saw the female (antagonizer) do the clownfish twitch that I've read much about. It was very brief and only 2-3 times. I then saw the new guy do the same twitch a few times after those displays. When I left the female was back to picking on the new guy.

So here are my questions

1) Is it normal for both fish to do the "twitch" during this process? I was under the impression that only the submissive fish did it.

2) Is it possible that my original fish (from June), hasn't turned to female yet?

3) How long can/should this go on? If they aren't going to pair, I don't want to lose the new guy. Some fin damage and stress is normal for this process, but is there a way to tell when enough is enough?

4) Anything I can do to help reduce the stress or speed up the process? The new fish did eat this morning along with all the other tank inhabitants, so that was a good sign.

Help is much appreciated. I'm really hoping my first crack at getting a bonded clown pair works out.

Thanks in advance.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not much help but here is a bump for some good answers! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back