Magnifica?

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri Anemone? (Heteractis magnifica)

I bought this last week and it's still adjusting but I wanted everyone else's opinions, I bought it as a ritteri anemone, but it's not like any one I've seen before, it has green/goldish tentacles, white tips and an orange base. It also has split tentacles which I've never seen on a Magnifica before.

Whatever it is I love it and it's going to turn out to be an awesome addition to my tank. I just plan on adding another Magnifica so I wanted to see what you guys thought about this one.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414628967.495686.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414629010.071117.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414629043.928332.jpg

Sorry for the horrible iPhone pictures it's all I could get.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a ritteri/mag to me, though picture of the base would help. They come in many colors, and all those I have kept had some 'forked' tentacles. Just keep an eye out for deflation cycles.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure.

Mags are really tough animals to acclimate. They typically don't ship well and can easily succumb to presumed bacterial infections. These infections often manifest as daily inflate-deflate cycles. Deflation will usually occur afternoon/evening, with the animal looking fine again by the morning. Each cycle looks slightly worse until you end up with a pile of goo. I gave kept 10 over the years, and 8 of them did it, requiring antibiotic treatments (even then, some did not survive).

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, I didn't know that. This one deflated the second day last week after I got it but since then hasn't done it again and yesterday ate very well. It's been getting better color everyday and looks like it's adjusting well.

I'll definitely have to read up on this some more. I've only had the one mag prior to this one that did very well for me and ended up getting huge, I just gave it to my friend. I'll look into treating these incase the next one I get has an infection. Thank you.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are in good shape then. Tried to post a few photos, but can't figure out how to do it on my iPad (laptop is in the shop)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back