Anemone and MP40 fear

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone els put the mesh over their MP40 at night in fear of an anemone going towards it and...well...you know?

My RBTA has stayed on the rock I set it on when I got it. It seems to be happy there, but I still don't trust it. Also, it seems that the MP40 makes such nice pulsing current, that if it did try to move it would not be a a simple task. In still tanks I think they must move more.

Furthermore, everything seems dandy, except the anemone has turned orange from it's original pink. Can't figure out why. I did change my lighting today thinking that the 420nm T5 might be doing it. When I replaced it with a royal Blue 460, I also noticed one of the 10kK T5's was not lit. I turned it a bit and it fired back up. So now I am running (on a 4 foot 65 gal, sump on the way) 4 x 54W T5: 2 X 10kK and 2 X 460nm, 2 X 36W 20kK LED Spots, Vortech and chiller. Specs are good.

Any input on the orange-ing?
THANKS!

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3-4 anemones get killed by mp40.i dont worry about anymore anemones are gonna do what anemones want to do.i just keep them well fed and in low flow zones and i have not had a anemone move on me in about 9months unless i move myself.

OP
OP
G

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks gacolt. Hmmm. Mine is on the MP40 side. I thought it would like the wave action.....but gentle is better? Perhaps I'll change to lagoon mode as I only have 2 SPS at this point?

OP
OP
G

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also
have my MP40 turned up higher than needed as I don't have a sump yet and just 2 HOB's (Remora and BH90).

OP
OP
G

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed it a scallop (1/3) 1 week after I got it. The LFS just fed it light ands it looked great. It was no doubt hungry. May I ask how often you feed one(BTA)?

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a cover on the mp 40 . You never know if a anemone will move or not. Feeding has nothing to do weather it wants to move or not.
I keep my system between 78 and 80 .

OP
OP
G

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"125 72x18x21,40gb sump,sro 5000int cone skimmer,750w halide 20k,over 12k gph flow.sps,lps,zoa/paly,9rbta,3clams.slowly becoming a acro junky
fed-ex gon deliver it to ya."

Good grief, a 750W 20kK Halide? that sounds awesome.

cpayne015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got 2 mp 40s and 4 anmones and that is the least of my worry....

as long as they stay fat and happy they are fine

OP
OP
G

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got 2 mp 40s and 4 anmones and that is the least of my worry....

as long as they stay fat and happy they are fine

After my sump is in and the nem is still on the same rock, I may stop using the mesh. He is fat and happy. I suppose anytime he looks "off" I'll put the mesh on at least at night (got 3 spares). I can't wait until I get the sump Wednesday and loose the hardware from the tank, at least; The chiller feed pump, the AquaC Remora and the stupid hang on mechanical filter I've been using for "rock shed".

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would advise covering your mp. my nems had stayed put for months... till this morning. i woke up to my large 12-14" long tent nem wrapped up in my mp. i'm adding mesh today to my powerheads....

on the bright side, at least it wasn't a gig. lol :)

as far as color goes, i have a couple dozen bta's. most of them changed color to some degree once they were in my tanks for awhile. not sure if it's difference in lights, params, or what... as long as it's healthy, bright, and expanded i don't worry about it. that is also one reason i won't pay the crazy high prices for some of the named bta's. i have seen a couple people buy them and the colors changed. lol my luck that would happen to mine.

Attachments

• DSC_2463.jpg
    DSC_2463.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_2465.jpg
    DSC_2465.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 108

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back