Adding a anemone/clownfish tank to my current system...

Jrlevers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, been awhile since I've been on this forum. I recently set up a new 180 gallon in wall mixed reef tank with a 100 gallon sump. The sump is located in its own room which houses two other tanks. I'm considering adding a third tank to my reef system in the back room. I'd like to add a 40B RR or drilled tank that will utilize the same sump as my 180 gallon. I have a few questions.

1. The nem tank will have some live rock but not enough for itself. Since the system is going to have the same water should I wait for the 40 to colonize with bacteria or can I just add water to it and go?

2. I plan on collecting some different color BTAs for the tank. Lighting. Will I need MH/LED? Or will CFL/T5 work. I run halides on my reef but it is 24" deep.

3. Flow. I hear that nems need around 10x flow. So I'll need minimum of a 400gph return pump on the additional tank minus head lift. How high SHOULD I go?

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow. I hear that nems need around 10x flow. So I'll need minimum of a 400gph return pump on the additional tank minus head lift. How high SHOULD I go?

Flow through your sump is for filtration, aim for 3-5x the DT volume and supplement with circulation pumps/ closed loop for additional flow in the DT. I have (2) MP60s in my 180 and don't go beyond 50% output. My RBTA is doing good

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow through your sump is for filtration, aim for 3-5x the DT volume and supplement with circulation pumps/ closed loop for additional flow in the DT. I have (2) MP60s in my 180 and don't go beyond 50% output. My RBTA is doing good
I agree... I have three BTA's, tow coney and a few flower nems in my tank.. It is a 30 gal and been running this way for about 8 months. Everything is healthy with the normal LED's.

Let everything cycle for a while before adding your nems.. no need to rush it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back