Rose BTA's getting too big!

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can nems get so big they won't split? I have a couple that just keep getting bigger. One is approximately 24" and the other about 14", The smaller is a split from the larger at least a year ago. They're just getting too big and I want to make some changes to my setup's and they are not in the plan if I can't get them to reproduce a little more often. Right now they're in my rock vat and very, very healthy. I've tried everything to instigate a split but they're being hard heads. I will not cut ............. Any suggestions?

I will add that I recently found a small BTA (4") in the vat and sorta wondering where it came from .......... :twitch:

I'm not really a nem keeper, the large one was given to me (fellow reefer moved) a couple years ago and started at 5" and has only split once.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man they're so easy to frag its ridiculous! I would take a blade to that 24" in a heartbeat.

I wish mine would grow. Any suggestions how or what's going on in your tank that's grown them so large?

Can nems get so big they won't split? I have a couple that just keep getting bigger. One is approximately 24" and the other about 14", The smaller is a split from the larger at least a year ago. They're just getting too big and I want to make some changes to my setup's and they are not in the plan if I can't get them to reproduce a little more often. Right now they're in my rock vat and very, very healthy. I've tried everything to instigate a split but they're being hard heads. I will not cut ............. Any suggestions?

I will add that I recently found a small BTA (4") in the vat and sorta wondering where it came from .......... :twitch:

I'm not really a nem keeper, the large one was given to me (fellow reefer moved) a couple years ago and started at 5" and has only split once.

OP
OP
Big Dog

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man they're so easy to frag its ridiculous! I would take a blade to that 24" in a heartbeat.

I wish mine would grow. Any suggestions how or what's going on in your tank that's grown them so large?

They're in a 150 gallon vat from tractor supply filled with LR I was using as a frag tank. I'm almost ashamed to say how it's setup, just too simple. Protein skimmer, Aqueon Quietflow filter and 250w MH/4-t5's. One ocellaris clown who must feel like he has the choice of a 20 room mansion and 40 room mansion. I do nothing other than water changes and feed the stock ...............

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're in a 150 gallon vat from tractor supply filled with LR I was using as a frag tank. I'm almost ashamed to say how it's setup, just too simple. Protein skimmer, Aqueon Quietflow filter and 250w MH/4-t5's. One ocellaris clown who must feel like he has the choice of a 20 room mansion and 40 room mansion. I do nothing other than water changes and feed the stock ...............

Man, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I feed them and they still don't grow.

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had one split either. I've owned 5 btas, the longest one 2 years. I actually going to cut my first today. I have it already set up in a breeder box not attached to any rock. I'll take pics later.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say I feel your pain

This really isn't even her at her largest. In a 90g tank, takes up almost 1/4" of it. Everyday I have to SHOVE her back into her corner so that the other anemone can get light.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a nice one. Wish mine would get that big.

Does it move a lot? Mine move more than any other anemone. About like a Condy. :)

I just wanted to say I feel your pain

This really isn't even her at her largest. In a 90g tank, takes up almost 1/4" of it. Everyday I have to SHOVE her back into her corner so that the other anemone can get light.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a nice one. Wish mine would get that big.

Does it move a lot? Mine move more than any other anemone. About like a Condy. :)

She is quite content in her corner. She moved a bit the first few weeks but settled there and just grew and grew.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this screenshot earlier from my webcam. Gives a reasonably accurate impression of just how huge she is (90g tank/4 feet long)
RBTA.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, yeah I love my Dropcam! It's about $150. Paid $99 on Black Friday.

It runs off the Dropcam app. It literally takes only 2-3 minutes to set up. NO REALLY...2-3 minutes!!

Probably the easiest and coolest piece of equipment I've set up.

They sell them at best buy. I have the regular. There's a pro also.

If anybody wants to check mine out live, download the dropcam app, and type:

[email protected]

reefahholic

I run my lights from 1700-0300. I work nights. :)

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh if you don't have wifi access at home, the picture won't be that great. If you do, it's 720p HD pic quality.

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what works for alot of pple is over feeding it.. we (myself and others in area) will give the bigger ones shrimp every cple days and i mean larger pieces.. also shocking them will do it as i found out by accident.. by this what i have done is take them out of their tank and move them or rearrange tank n plop em back in with minimal acclimation..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back