this is weird

angel1237

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns...7 months now...one of them the female started going Into the anemone 2 weeks ago...since then when I turn out my bright light she chases the male clown fiercely all over the tank until I turn out the moonlight light,then she stops right away...I usually leave the moonlight on for an hour or so after turning out the daylight but I cant now because she runs the male half to death....any suggestions why?

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a new behavior from her hosting the anemone. Darkness usually calms a lot of animals (including us) since it naturally stimulates sleep. Just keep a close eye because she can reject him. If that's the case then you would need to get rid of the male before he is killed.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female can be aggressive when she's getting ready to mate.

Just like all women. Lol

:)

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As somebody mentioned, she's probably reaching the point of wanting to mate.. I had a female clown that killed 4 males. It was usually at about a year that she beat them up bad enough they died or disappeared.

stevers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are the clowns. They won't mate until they are around a year and a half at the very earliest. Most breeders I have spoken with claim that some pairs take over 3 years to lay.
There is a chance she is rejecting her mate. Or that the mate thinks it has a chance at being a female. Seperate the male and feed him way less food than the female. She will be bigger after a month or 2 and the squabble will be negated.

Premmas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had almost the same problem. They were together without fights. One day i made an upgrade in my actinic light, change it for actinics leds. When i turn the actinic only, the female (common ocellaris), start to look like she was a black ocellaris because of the actinic leds. Then the male start to kick her *** every day, exactly at the same time the actinics turn on.
here is a video showing how the male start to act strange.
[video=youtube;dY-F6iOryls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY-F6iOryls[/video]

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want them to fight just add more. :)

They get confused with a lot swimming around. Also, I've noticed the more anemones I add reduces the fighting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back