New BTA leaving me perplexed

dormreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a new take over 5 months ago and decided to go the BTA route. I picked up what I perceived as a very health Rainbow BTA locally. All tentacles seemed inflated well, mouth was hidden, no damage to the foot etc. I drip acclimated the nem for over 2 hours then place it in my tank. After wandering around for the day/night it seemed to pick a spot. The next day it was inflated and happy. This continued for well over a week. However, the last 48 or so hours it has been inflating very frequently. I would say it spends half its day delated. I checked nitrates and phosphate both before and after doing a water change both are undetectable. My water is at 1.025 and 78 degrees F. I was running my XR15 pro at 80% but I knocked it down to 60% as an attempt to potentially solve any issues. When the nem does inflate it does so almost perfectly and the mouth is nice and tight. Is there anything I can do to help this situation?

Thank you!

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's very common for nems to inflate and deflate over time. Usually they deflate when the lights are off and inflate when they're on. Are you feeding the nem? Feeding can cause different behavior as well in that the nem ingests the food and then deflates to rid itself of waste. I wouldn't worry about it if its color is good and its mouth is tight

OP
OP
D

dormreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed it a few Mysis shrimp over the last week but not in a few days. I also realized that my female clown recently started trying to host. I deduced that it could be possible that it was stressed due to her attempts so I have separated my clowns for a few days to test this.

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed it a few Mysis shrimp over the last week but not in a few days. I also realized that my female clown recently started trying to host. I deduced that it could be possible that it was stressed due to her attempts so I have separated my clowns for a few days to test this.

I feed mine half a sliverside every 4 or 5 days. I was told they need really meaty foods if they are not too small. Seems very happy and it only deflates once in awhile.

Attachments

• 1419105890682.jpg
    1419105890682.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 307

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my nems a hunk of shrimp every few days.. I noticed since my larger one moved, it eats less frequently and just drops the food off for the crab to eat.

OP
OP
D

dormreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! It seems my anemone is spending more time inflate recently which is good. However, when it does inflate it does seem to excrete waste which is strange since I haven't fed it in awhile. Must be the fish? Hopefully it will continue to get better and better. Water parameters and lighting seem to be above what is generally regarded as required!

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like squid.
You can use most any "sea" food that is raw, shrimp, scallops, salmon, squid, octopus, silver sides. I feed ours raw baby anchovies for human consumption that's soaked in Selcon

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found at the grocery store that the shrimp behind the sea food counter is the exact same shrimp they sell in the frozen bags... The guy told me they just defrost it and call it fresh shrimp

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back