Torch Coral and Clown

reef_squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a torch coral eat a clown? I saw my two nano clownfish in the tank last night and this morning I can only find one.... It is a fairly new tank (~ 3 months old) with only some zoas, clowns, scooter blenny, snails and hermit crabs. Thanks!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A torch coral as a really really tiny mouth... I am betting it wither is in hiding, or it died and the bristle worms took care of it, or it ended up in your filter/sump

How large was/is the clown?
I had a full size cardinal fish go missing one night. there was nothing left of it after I awoke

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? How long have you had the clowns? Were they sold as a mated pair or did you try and pair them yourself?

OP
OP
R

reef_squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just a biocube 14. The clowns were nano and not sold as a mated pair. I have had them for about 2 to 3 months. The clown that disappeared was the smaller of the 2 and did host the torch coral. I have looked everywhere in the tank and no luck finding him.

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have gotten beat up and the crabs got him. Crabs will clean stuff up pretty quick. Hopefully he'll show up though.

OP
OP
R

reef_squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update: Checked the back chambers and nothing! Got another nano clown like 3 days ago and this morning both nano clowns were there before I went to work, I come home 8 hours later and there is only 1. No luck finding this one either. Does anyone have any ideas why they keep disappearing before I get another one? Is it my torch coral? Am I not feeding enough?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got a little shop of horrors tank going on...... I would not think the torch is eating the clown... how big is the torch... do you have any pics of your tank and the coral?

What is the size of the nano clowns?

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're either dying and getting eaten, jumping/getting sucked into something, or there is a predator in your tank. the torch isn't eating your clowns.

maybe you've got a eunice worm or something.. lol.

OP
OP
R

reef_squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I caught the culprit in the act! Found my largest green stripe hermit crab eating my last nano clown today. Would a hermit crab hunt if there is not enough food in the tank?

reefguy40gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the opposite. My clown killed my torch coral (black arms with green tips) due to him being overly agressive when hosting.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I caught the culprit in the act! Found my largest green stripe hermit crab eating my last nano clown today. Would a hermit crab hunt if there is not enough food in the tank?

How large is the hermit crab? normally clowns are fast swimmers and try and stay away from critters that could hurt them.

reefguy40gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe the clown died by something else's hand....and the crab is just feeding off the carcass?

My emerald crab killed a very expensive clam I had in the tank. I think.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back