Anemone stung clownfish?

blkhawk10

Big U G baby!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black ice clown has been breathing heavily for the past couple days and laying on the sand bed...I looked up all the diseases associated with clownfish and it doesn't seem to be one, this isn't the first time it has happened either...I have another clown I just bought two weeks ago hosting the anemone that I have and I was thinking that maybe this one got stung somehow trying to host?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA will not hurt the clown... look for a parasite or anything else with the clown.

BTA will sting, but they are VERY weak

could you post a few pictures

OP
OP
blkhawk10

blkhawk10

Big U G baby!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the new one didn't beat the old one up its is like two times smaller and they seem fine together...weird thing is I did a water change and the clown is acting normal again which is weird, because I feel if anything was wrong with the water everything would've been feeling it...I can see her trying to host the anemone now but won't actually touch it yet, so maybe it did get stung so it's taking its time now.

Mldukes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially clowns are stung by anemones. It is an aquired immunity. After continued exposure antigens are built up within the clowns slime coat that protect them from the anemones sting

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially clowns are stung by anemones. It is an aquired immunity. After continued exposure antigens are built up within the clowns slime coat that protect them from the anemones sting
I do not think that this is true. Clowns that live in the anemone do not get sting by the host anemone at all. Somehow, we don't know how, but the clowns able to get the anemone to feel them as "not a food item" and not sting them. There is a very important distinction between what I wrote and what Mldukes wrote.
Sometime clowns can just drove right in the anemone and have no problem. However, there are incident of clowns drove into the anemone, got stung and eaten by the anemone. I have seen first hand, at a LFS, wild caught Clarkii drove right into a S. haddoni, which is one of it natural host, got stung and eaten by the H. haddoni.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that this is true. Clowns that live in the anemone do not get sting by the host anemone at all. Somehow, we don't know how, but the clowns able to get the anemone to feel them as "not a food item" and not sting them. There is a very important distinction between what I wrote and what Mldukes wrote.
Sometime clowns can just drove right in the anemone and have no problem. However, there are incident of clowns drove into the anemone, got stung and eaten by the anemone. I have seen first hand, at a LFS, wild caught Clarkii drove right into a S. haddoni, which is one of it natural host, got stung and eaten by the H. haddoni.

Not being stung, and being recognized by the anemone as "not a food item" is because of their slime coat. The slime coat can be damaged through various factors such as aggression, illness, physical damage, and handling by aquarist/other. If the slime coat does become damaged the anemone can identify the hosting clownfish "as a food item" and sting, injure, or even kill and consume the clown. This is likely the cause of the incident with the clarkii being eaten by the haddoni, the slime coat likely being damaged by the net.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anybody really looking into/work out exactly why host anemones does not sting their symbiotic clown fish. There are a variety of hypothesis as to why this is true but nothing proven. Conjecture and hypothesis is all.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anybody really looking into/work out exactly why host anemones does not sting their symbiotic clown fish. There are a variety of hypothesis as to why this is true but nothing proven. Conjecture and hypothesis is all.

Actually it is a subject that has been studied fairly well. A google.scholar search will readily give a number of peer reviewed literature that delves into the specifics of the fish mucus and particular proteins that provide the immunity to clownfish from the anemone sting.

Anemonedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA will not hurt the clown... look for a parasite or anything else with the clown.

BTA will sting, but they are VERY weak

could you post a few pictures
I swear the same thing happened to me. New anemone, clown fish touched it and went into convulsions. Seems to be unharmed however.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to read about it. It have been so long since I look into this subject that what I know seem to be out of date

Cmas0814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear the same thing happened to me. New anemone, clown fish touched it and went into convulsions. Seems to be unharmed however.
Just fed my anemone and watched my young clown swim in face first and get lit up. He was shaking it off and is now fine

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back