What to add first....

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short version of my saga: 55 gallon Reef was taken down early December and all inhabitants are in temporary tanks in the bathroom and rocks in Brute cans with saltwater, heat, and flow while our floors were getting redone. There have been a lot of delays, it looks like my reef won't be set back up for maybe another 2-4 weeks. I'll be setting back up as a 90. :D

In the meantime, I'm scheming. I didn't get my clown pair a nem because I felt like the 55 was just too small. I've had my eye on a BTA for the last several months and would like to get it for the 90. Knowing that it'll walk around for awhile, what should I add first when I set back up: the BTA or the corals? (All frags or small colonies). I would kind of hate for my corals to have spent 2 months in 10 gallon tanks in the bathroom only to get stung to death by the nem while it finds it's home.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck gauging conditions in certain spots in my tank, but I've also had a nem walk 4ft after being happy for 8 months, lol...I wouldn't want my coral in the 10G's too much longer, so I would bite the bullet and move the corals first.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you setting up the 90? Are you re-using the rocks from the 55?
What about the sand?

fragman4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely let the nem get its spot and then move the corals around after. Like the post above said it may move after a while but if you keep everything the same (i.e. flow, lights, water conditions etc) chances are it will stay. It might get interesting if it splits and you have 2+ walkers lol

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you setting up the 90? Are you re-using the rocks from the 55?
What about the sand?

I'm reusing the rocks from my 55 and 14 hex when setting up the 90 reef and a 45 seahorse tank. I also bought a few more dry pieces from BRS and they have been in the Brutes with the rest.

I tossed the old sand and will be using new, clean sand.

I suppose another option would be to put all the corals in the 45 while I wait for the kitchen to be done so the 90 can be set up...then the nem could go in the 90 and the corals should still have room to move in the 45... (I won't be getting horses for awhile anyhow...)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back