Sick anemone

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a sick anemone that has been closed up for about almost 2 days the mouth is a little open on it and it's tentacles are whitish my water parameters are fine except my nitrates are around 30 when it's closed up it looks saggy like its sagging off the rock but it's still firmly attached to the rock and givin no smell my clownfish just started hosting it about 4 days ago can my clown fish hurt it it seemed a little healthier before he hosted it

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422447958088.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422447958088.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 320

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that nem needs to be in a quarantine tank getting special treatment, its starving and bleached. i don't mean to come off harsh but you need to spend some time on this nem or it will not make it.

I've had them come back from similar situations but you definitely have your hands full.

What i did was put some screen over the top of the aquarium. the nems bleached so 100% light will do more damage.
next i would feed it every two days SMALL pieces (about half the size of its mouth when closed) of chopped up shrimp or scallops soaked in Aquavitro fuel
and i kept it away from the clowns. ( once its back to health they will still love it just the same.

best of luck to you

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the look of your live rock, your tank is a new set up. Never a good idea to add a nem to new tank.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that nem needs to be in a quarantine tank getting special treatment, its starving and bleached. i don't mean to come off harsh but you need to spend some time on this nem or it will not make it.

I've had them come back from similar situations but you definitely have your hands full.

What i did was put some screen over the top of the aquarium. the nems bleached so 100% light will do more damage.
next i would feed it every two days SMALL pieces (about half the size of its mouth when closed) of chopped up shrimp or scallops soaked in Aquavitro fuel
and i kept it away from the clowns. ( once its back to health they will still love it just the same.

best of luck to you
In the quarantine tank does there need to be light? I have a 5 gallon bucket I can put him in for now an how often do I try to feed him thanks

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you will need a light source for photosynthesis, I would go and get a ten gallon tank from petco they're having their 1$ a gallon sale, some live rock for the nem to attach to and a small filter for flow a small heater for controlled temp and give it the tlc it needs.
i've nursed many BTA's back its taken a few weeks to a few months depending on their condition

Also just like jman9331 how old is the tank? it looks fairly new

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much I will try way you said my a can is positioned slightly above him an is doing good... I b think it's a feeding issue an possibly lights as I just up graded to a 120 bulb with 1690 lumens.... that's not too bright is it? 75 gallon tank

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the par rating for the bulb? what is the actual lighting system?
do you have a tank build thread? with a breakdown of what you're running? again how long has the tank been up?
how long have you owned the anemone? did you get it in that condition?

please be as detailed as possible we're going to do our best to help you but we need to know a lot more

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the par rating for the bulb? what is the actual lighting system?
do you have a tank build thread? with a breakdown of what you're running? again how long has the tank been up?
how long have you owned the anemone? did you get it in that condition?

please be as detailed as possible we're going to do our best to help you but we need to know a lot more
My fault the tank has been up half a year now and it's my friend tank he made a light fixture for it that host a 120 watt floodlight with 1690 lumens and no I don't have the build thread.... his mouth is somewhat open now I have a syringe and I'm going to get some Kent liquid marine food and see what that does for him

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have 75 gallon tank with eheim ultra g 90 canister filter eheim water heater with temp at 78 two powerheads one rated at 1600 gph and a smaller one at 400. the nem has been in tank for about month now and he said when he first got him he looked healthy

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed him some mysis and he's trying to eat small very small bits

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422555888111.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422555888111.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 223

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that anemone looks like it is on its way out. :( I wouldn't try to feed it. It will exert too much energy and the food will just rot inside of it. I have doubts that the lighting system would be strong enough for the anemone.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some Kent marine food to the water last night and this morning I picked him up and smelled him no smell but he has detached from the rock he was on.... his mouth is still closed but now he is just sitting on the substrate I think he may be trying to reposition himself

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detached is pretty much a sign that its done. that nem isn't going to last much longer.
you're going to need to upgrade that lighting system if you ever wish to try to keep nems again

Back