My carpet anemone died today i have questions.?

scapone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a carpet anemone about a month ago give or take.he was fine at first. Then his mouth gaped here and there but always went back to normal. My tomato clown did not host at first but then he did and never left him alone and all my carpet did was hide in a crevice under my rocks and his mouth open. He was lifeless today. Im wondering is there an easier anemone and what do you think was the problem with my anemone

Daniel62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, depending on the type of carpet it most likely had a bacterial infection. If treated in time with the right meds most will pull through. I say all carpets should be qt for at least 2 weeks to a month. This way you can treat much easier. Bubble tip are fairly easy to keep

OP
OP
scapone

scapone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok is there something to look for when buying an anemone? Ill check bubble tip also how are long tenticle anemone

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting, water conditions of course play a big role in wether or not you can keep any Anemone. Also, keep in mind the size of your Clownfish and the size of the Nem, the fish can actually beat up the Nem and kill it if its not big enough.

steelers4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good meds to qt with? Im running into a similar situation. Im going to remove my carpet tomorrow and move into my qt. Im thinking of using ciprofloxacin.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you feed hime? Did he eat?
Avoid Silverside. If you feed him smelly spoiled silverside (or spoiled food), this would kill him.
A long time a go, I have a CBB. I feed the burterfly frozen clams. One day, I got home after work, the fish did not eat all of the clam (the hinge of the clam was broken so the clam did not open up as it thaw out. Anyway, I took the clamd flesh out and feed it to my Magnifica. The magnifica got sick and died 1 week later.
Anemone do not have a brain and will eat anything with certain chemical marker in it. Unlike fish that have a brain, anemone cannot tell spoiled food from unspoiled food. The bacterial load from decaying food will do them in.

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a seabea that didn't last long. Then I got an inferno bubble tip thought the same but realized he needs to eat more. I feed him half a frozen mysis cube a week he's enormous now. Also some people think their anemone is dying when it's actually pooping. Lol

steelers4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. I have only fed mysis 1x. The nem has been in my tank since wed. I've heard silver sides could possibly stress nem. Here a couple pic.ls.

Attachments

• 1425308347312.jpg
    1425308347312.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 1425308415007.jpg
    1425308415007.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 443
OP
OP
scapone

scapone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone say if that happens a lot or it stays that way its a problem

steelers4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only need like this for 24 hours. Well see how it looks tonight. Still probably going to qt.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given up on anemones. I love the look of them when healthy and the way the Clowns interact with them BUT the risk of poisoning my tank if thy die suddenly is not worth taking.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given up on anemones. I love the look of them when healthy and the way the Clowns interact with them BUT the risk of poisoning my tank if thy die suddenly is not worth taking.
Anemone does not nuke the tank if they died. Just release nutrients like any dead thing. They don't died sundently, unless they get chew up by PH.
There are reports that if a Magnifica get chew up by PH, the nematocyst released will kill all the non clown fish in the tank, inverterbrates are all OK however.
In order to keep anemones sucessfully you need to be able to keep a reef tank stable and know the anemone species that you want to keep so that you can provide the environment he needed so he won't roam about and kill himself (walk into a PH or overflow) and corals

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back