Mixing anemones

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a large tank mix numerous types of anemones? Say three or more?

Currently there is a sabae and a ritteri. Looking at adding a carpet as well. A couple of bubble tips would be nice to fill out the upper rocks if I could do that as well.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could I had a 65 for a while that had just about all you could think of u just watched were they were going and stepped in if I saw two were about to meet paths

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep them from touching. Some reefer will say that there will be chemical warfare in tanks with more than one species of host anemones, but I have not seen any evidence of this (proved to my satisfaction) I keep multiple Haddoni, multiple Gigantea, Multiple Magnifica and multiple BTA all in the same system for at least 2 years with no problem. In another system, I keep Malu, Gigantea, Haddoni and BTA with no problem.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope there won't be touching, unless one would move around. Sabae is on the bottom almost center. Ritteri is on very top center. Carpet I would like to add would go far left bottom.

Do you guys run carbon to help? I had read that could help if there is chemical warfare between them.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rayn I'm doing the same exact mix but went BTA, then haddoni, then LTA, then crispa, then ritteri to finish it off. I just got rid of the LTA because I couldn't get it to attach. I've been told I need to be religious with my carbon changes, but that's a small sacrifice to keep the nems happy.

I've had gbta rbta together with no issues for years.

This isn't really mixing since they're the same kind.

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rbta's closeup 1 1 13.JPG
kryptonite bubble tip anemones 9 28 13.JPG
I had about 20 rbtas until I placed a "kryptonite" bubble tip in with them. 4 months later all rbtas had stopped eating, and died. The green one split, and kept eating like a pig. They were in a 29 gallon tank that is connected to a system of tanks totaling 120 gallons of actual water.
kryptonite bubble tip anemones.JPG

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run carbon but have not change them for at least 6 months. Unless you really know what you are doing (in choosing the right spots for them) they will move around some.
There are many, many reefers with multiple strains of BTA in there tank without problem.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When lights come up I will throw a pic up of where I have and where I want the new one. Sounds like it is doable with some caution and carbon. I have a reactor sitting and can throw carbon in it easily.

esteadma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ DFW those things are insane!! reminds me of the one I used to have. Not nearly as large but just as colorful.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rbta's closeup 1 1 13.JPG
kryptonite bubble tip anemones 9 28 13.JPG
I had about 20 rbtas until I placed a "kryptonite" bubble tip in with them. 4 months later all rbtas had stopped eating, and died. The green one split, and kept eating like a pig. They were in a 29 gallon tank that is connected to a system of tanks totaling 120 gallons of actual water.
kryptonite bubble tip anemones.JPG

Those BTA's are beautiful!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep them from touching. Some reefer will say that there will be chemical warfare in tanks with more than one species of host anemones, but I have not seen any evidence of this (proved to my satisfaction) I keep multiple Haddoni, multiple Gigantea, Multiple Magnifica and multiple BTA all in the same system for at least 2 years with no problem. In another system, I keep Malu, Gigantea, Haddoni and BTA with no problem.

I have to agree with Minh, I think that most people's water parameters are off and they have several anemones deflate at same time and then scream Allelopathy. I have witness different anemones stinging each other, but never Allelopathy. I do know that the same nems who once stung each other later got along and were touching for months. IMO, it depends on how they're introduced and how long they have been in the tank together. My theory is that they can smell/sense other anemones and if given a chance to adapt or acclimate to each other slowly, they will play nice. However, you dump and fresh new Haddoni on top of a Magnifica who's been in the tank for 6 months without letting them acclimate and you will see the Mag will sting the heck out of the Haddoni. I have pics to prove this.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to add this...

If you take a male pitbull and stick him in your backyard for a month and put another male pitbull in the same backyard, they will normally fight. BUT...if you give them a chance to get used to each other (put both on chains where they can almost/ barely touch for 1 week) they will play nice about 95% of the time.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happen brother?

In ur opinion what do BTA's like and what will keep the alive and happy?

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to be fed chunks of fish several times per week, good flow (from pumps located outside of the tank that they are in), and they like royal blue LEDs.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mean a closed loop? I think (don't know yet) that a bubble tip (like any other anemone) will stay put and be less likely to detach and float into a wave maker if the water parameters stay in check. I've had a few inflate and deflate for months and in my opinion they aren't happy and this isn't normal. The few I've had that did this eventually died. A lot of people think this is normal, but in the wild they don't deflate often. They definetely do better in different tanks.

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY way that you can be certain that no anemones will be damaged by power heads is to not have any in their tank! It is simple to use a large return pump in the sump for their tank! You asked "what will keep them alive, and happy?" Hoping that stable parameters will do that is leaving things up to chance! Having nothing for them to get tangled in WILL give them 100% of a chance to live!

They all deflate after they eat, so that means if they eat, they inflate, and deflate for their whole lives, not just months. None of mine died, ever, until in same tank with the nematocysts of killer green anemones.

And if you would like to try mixing anemones the way that I did, start with 20 very healthy rainbows, and add a green kryptonite to the same tank. They are fluorescent green with an orange dot on the tip of each tentacle. Let us know how it goes!:D

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 anenomes, ( 3 different kinds ) in a 180 gallon tank now . No problems . Two rose bubble tip, it split. One giant green carpet, one long tentacle ( not sure exactly which. ) They all stay in same spot they settled in , 3 years at least no wondering or hurting other corals. Like others said, anenomes shouldn't touch each other or corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back