Little Help Please

Reemat12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I picked up a Green LTA from my LPS with the understanding it would be about 4-5" in size (I have a 34 gal tank). The past few days 4-5" turned into 12-14" (Careful this is a family site). I would like to know:

1 is the size of the tank acceptable of the size of the anemone?
2 Is it possible to "contain" the anemone? Its right where I like it but being way bigger then I was planning It takes over more of the tank then I like.
3 When an anemone stretches out both length and width is it looking for something like food? I feed an alternating silversides and fresh shrimp about every 4-5 days.
4 The green is being replaced with a tan color. Is this an issue?

My tank is a Fluval M series M90 with 25000k full spectrum LEDs Fulval PS1 (45gal) skimmer and Fluval CP3 circ pump (pump) (All came as a set)

Salinity 1.025
Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Reemat12

Reemat12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about original post, tried to share pictures!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 178

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop feeding it silversides --- myself and other experienced anemone keepers have had issues with them, I lost an H. malu to their use.

I fixed your first post -- sorry if I removed any important information, it was a challenge to edit. :)

1 --- In time, this anemone will out grow your tank. Plus, there will be water quality issues with a small tank and a large anemone. They put out a lot of waste.
2 --- You can't contain it.
3 --- Stretching out could be reaching for my light. If you are worried about the size, cut back on the feedings. I recently sold mine, directly fed it 3 times in 3 years.
4 --- As long as it isn't getting lighter, ie bleaching, the color shift is fine.

OP
OP
Reemat12

Reemat12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the repair and reply. I kinda figured on the containment wishful thinking I guess. Is there a rule of thumb for tank size vs. anemone size? I test water 1-2x a week sand have seen no flux in results as of now.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your filtration and husbandry is spot on, then the stocking of a tank is a little more forgiving. Nems are a beast of their own and a lot of times, their full size doesn't line up with the tanks we keep. BTAs are the easiest in captivity, and the rest just get harder and bigger. Good luck, and hopefully you can provide a little more light for the LTA.

esteadma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the color issue, you may want to try using a quality vitamin additive and also throwing a dash of garlic into whatever your feeding it, but don't overdo it. I always fed shrimp. Seemed to work pretty well for my RBTA.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the anemone will be OK for now in your tank but I would not feed him. The more you feed, the faster they grow.

I would not use Silver side. Siverside are small fish frozen with gut and easy to spoil. Also been aquarium food (pet pood) silver side do not get the care frozen human food required. Almost all the LFS will not throw away a thawned out Silver side package, they just put it back to the freezer and sell it to the next customer who buy it. A fish with brain, will spit bad food out, just like us spit out spoiled food. Anemone do not have a brain will swallow anything with certain chemical in it. Spoiled food often will kill or really sicken anemone.

Silverside is really expensive. You can buy sushi grade fish cheaper than what you pay for the silverside.

Expensive, poor quality, may kill you anemone; I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Back