ID?

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this anemone for a few years, 5-6 maybe? It was half size when I got it, now 8-10"? It has been in a container in my sandbed a couple years now, just for ease of moving. Never deflates, eats aggressively, and I've gotten conflicting opinions of what kind it is. Here's my opinion, as wrong or right as it may be. I think Malu, only because of the time I've had it, it has not grown. Got to the size it is with-in the first year (maybe months) and has not grown since acclimating. It has lots of little tents in it, and larger tents peppered throughout. It looks like too many tents to be a LTA. It's not a BTA. It's not a carpet. In my mind, it only leaves possible crispa (which grows large), malu, LTA (which again grows large, but way less tents), but has the corkscrew tents that LTA are known for having, but the size doesn't make sense to me. Hybrid of LTA and crispa? A few others on other sites have commented, but after a few comments, no one responds with opinions. Anyone care to give me some input? Looking for a larger pool of input than 5 or 6 people. Thank in advance!

image_zpssbj9yoqp.jpg Photo by dave1748 | Photobucket

I have some juvi percs that have decided this last week to only use this anemone, out of 6 gigs and a merts, they decided this is their home, and have started cleaning the side of the container, and claimed this anemone as their home. Over the other anemone's!

Yes, I know, enjoy it what ever it is. I don't plan on pulling it for a view of the verracue, but it has white raised bumps under the disk. Not spots like LTA, but bumps that are raised.

It sits in a 1 gallon vinegar plastic bottle bottom I cut.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that last pic, you can see the really small tents next to the full size tents. Those small ones are everywhere.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go-to nem guy votes malu, as do I, so that's 2 votes in agreement :) If you despise the pending fact that it's a malu, I'll be over later to relieve you of this awful awful nem. Soooo perty.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go-to nem guy votes malu, as do I, so that's 2 votes in agreement :) If you despise the pending fact that it's a malu, I'll be over later to relieve you of this awful awful nem. Soooo perty.

Haha, Thanks jayjigga! It seems happy where it is. No despising going on over here. Thanks for your thoughts. Looks like the opinion pool remains small, that's ok... It's really a stable anemone, lightening fast feeding response. I'm pretty sure it's size is maxed out.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, Thanks jayjigga! It seems happy where it is. No despising going on over here. Thanks for your thoughts. Looks like the opinion pool remains small, that's ok... It's really a stable anemone, lightening fast feeding response. I'm pretty sure it's size is maxed out.

Looking at your tank and a couple other locals, it seems like the Chicagoland has an obsession with nems. Hopefully others will chime in still.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol sorry usually I do but I'm shoveling more snow yet again here in nj and I'm just exhausted.

i personally think it looks like a Heteractis crispa
SebaeAnemone_Heteractis_crispa.jpg

SebaeAnemone_Heteractis_crispa.jpg

Last edited:
Back