Shredded Nem

dwebb1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning around 7 o'clock I found that My condy Nem had taken a walk and got half shredded by my powerhead. I've done a little bit of reading and it seems that with certain types of anemones that this can be very detrimental to your tank. I've seen people with our Rba's say that this is happened and everything has been fine, but other people with anemones such as magnificence have said their entire tank wiped out. I am curious if anybody has had this issue with the condy and can provide some feedback based on what their experience was. The incident happened after 1 AM so it took place within the last seven hours, and everything seems fine currently. Unfortunately I have to go to work for the next eight hours so will be unable to monitor my tank for that period of time. Thank you for all input.

PS I did remove the remaining portion of the Nem for fear that it would poison the tank.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do a big water change and run carbon to be safe. But I believe from what I have read the decaying nem is what releases nasties. If you got it out quickly your probably ok. However, I am not very knowledgeable in nems so take my advice for what it's worth. Maybe someone else can chime in

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decaying matter will produce an ammonia level, initate a nitrogen cycle, the tank is not able to keep up with. Simply test for the basics and do a water change while running some new charcoal. Your tank should be fine.

OP
OP
dwebb1031

dwebb1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm more worried about toxin from the stinging fiber the Nem produces than decay rates removed most of the debris I would say less than half of the Nem actually got shredded and I removed the other half to be safe

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nematocysts will not be an issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back