All about tube Anemones

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share your experience with tube anemones. Are they really fish eaters? Any relevant info is encouraged. Don't forget the pics.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I have always wanted one myself.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in an aggressive tank. They are perfect for this type of tank because you don't need expensive lighting.

I never had a problem with it eating fish. I would feed it and the huma huma trigger who was a pig stayed away.

It had quite a sting. Pretty much any unfortunate coral that fell into it was wiped out almost instantly. I have seen them take out rbtas too.

They need a lot of space because their tentacles can expand a long way.

I wouldn't put one in a reef tank which is why I sold it when I broke down the agressive tank.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are great. I had a nice purple one at one time. I tried to do a few of them in the tank but got derailed by a vendor I ordered them from but that's another story. I ended up giving it away a couple of years ago. He didn't have much sand so he built a pvc tube for it to live in. The last I heard it's still alive but someone else has it now.

tube anemone - Tube Anemone - Shallow sand bed solution

I never had any issues with it stinging any fish and I have fish that perch (blenny, goby, mandarin). I saw my mandarin swim into it one time and it didn't bother him a bit. It was cool to watch the nem grab food out of the water column and eat. Mine wouldn't eat anything much larger than a mysis. I know they get large but it would take a beast of a Cerianthid to eat a healthy fish if at all. They are more plankton eaters from my experience. I don't believe they are the evil killers that they are made out to be and are even vulnerable to nipping fish or peppermint shrimp if they don't have a proper tube built to protect them.

This is an old pic of it in my peacock mantis tank. My plan was to do a couple on each side of the rock but said vendor mishap and my mantis dying months later led me to break the tank down and rehome.

IMG_0319-1.jpg

spanko

Henry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 biocube with an aqua illuminations LED light. Had a RBTA for about 2 years. Just took it to the LFS because it got too big and was stretching into my SPS and burning them.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love 'em! More pics please!!

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked one of these babies up yesterday, looked awesome in my lfs but it isn't opening for me :( it could be because it became unattached from the rock it was on? Or possibly too much flow?

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to feed them but it was fun for me. I actually would take a small piece of scallop and place it in the center where the neon green tentacles are. The fish would not dare get to close because these pack quite a sting.

DSC06721ARW.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to feed them but it was fun for me. I actually would take a small piece of scallop and place it in the center where the neon green tentacles are. The fish would not dare get to close because these pack quite a sting.

DSC06721ARW.jpg

Great looking tube anemone. So they aren't as murderous as people claim them to be?

I may have to get one...

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember them packing a heck of a sting. Years ago, when I used to see more of them in the hobby you would hear tales of regret in which they scarred fish and high fived corals into oblivion. That said, I'd love one if I didn't have such a smaller tank.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will these get along with my mantis shrimp I know some say yes but im really attached to my mantis and would hate to kill it cause of an idea

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tube anemone. So they aren't as murderous as people claim them to be?

I may have to get one...

This was in an aggressive tank and it had a lot of room. It was an 150 gallon tank. I never had a problem with the fish. They knew not to get to close. I had a Huma Huma that would eat like a pig but I was till able to feed the anemone because it left alone. In a smaller space where you don't let the tentacles expand I could see where it could harm fish. This one doubled in size quickly. I sold it when I took that tank down.

Will these get along with my mantis shrimp I know some say yes but im really attached to my mantis and would hate to kill it cause of an idea

I don't know about a Mantis shrimp. I did not have any shrimp in this tank as I had lots of hungry triggers. They do pack a punch with coral. It stung the heck out of some cloves that fell into it.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering my mantis is about 6" long and is tuff as nails but didn't want to harm him

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing I didn't realize is that the tube that they live in looked like it would be firm but when I actually grabbed it to put it in my tank it was slimy and I almost dropped the poor anemone. It actually stung me a little bit. I then just buried the tube in the sand a bit and let it settle in on its own.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering my mantis is about 6" long and is tuff as nails but didn't want to harm him

I'd worry more about the nem than the mantis. I kept my tube anemones with a 4-5 inch O. scyllarus and there's no way that a Cerianthid could harm a mantis IMO. The problem is that the mantis can dig up the nem in an attempt to steal it's food. I always had to feed the mantis first and then the fish and the anemone.

Always try to get one with a tube. They can make their own tube if left alone but I got one without a tube and the fish picked at it constantly. I had to place one of mine into a bowl of sand in the sump until it made it's own tube.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful pink with green tentacled anenome. Unfortunately, it ate one of my clownfishes.

All I remember is my 4 year old waking me up and telling me that one of the clowns are inside the coral.

I'll search for a picture tonight and post it.

RIP

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of mine, purple tentacles with neon green core. I've had it for over a year and a half and love it!!! I keep mine in a SPS dominated tank so it does restrict me in that I can't place any corals in the near vecinity but with the way the aquascape is done in my tank it's managable. It does pack a serious punch though if it does sting a coral as I have lost a few along the way due to a frag falling or being tossed around by my blue tang. Mine has a nice tube around it and it's cool to see in hide if it get s spooked (my kids get a kick from it).

DPP_0024.jpg

Back