Procedures/Guidelines Needed for Reef Club being Asked for Donations by Schools/ETC

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking information... My reef club has been approached several times this past year by schools (teachers), etc who are asking for donations for their classrooms, projects, etc. I am seeking information (policies, procedures, forms, etc) from other Reef Clubs that have developed methods, tools, etc they use when approached for donations. We have been asked for money, equipment, supplies, corals, fish, books...basicly everything reef-related!:smile: (Myself and another club member helped a high school set up a new marine biology class...they have students signed up for it 2 years in advance:wink:) Instead of reinventing the wheel, I'm wondering if any Club Officers would mind sharing what policies/procedures/forms used when asked for donations. Hopefully others can help us out.:biggrin1: Feel free to post here or message me. Thanks!!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since it seems like the wheel doesn't really exist or people are keeping the wheel a secret, let's start the brainstorming...

- Liability waivers to remove the donating party from liability associated with the donated product, livestock or man-power

- Tax forms for showing the cost of the donation to offset any income the club may have

- Request form showing what is being requested and what its intent will be...

Policies and procedures are a bit more difficult without sitting down and writing them... You could use info from any non-profit that donates items and see what they have written and use it as a base.

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic cdness!! Thank you for getting the brainstorming started!! I hadn't thought about the liability issue regarding livestock or equipment/products! I had thought of the tax form .... Upon helping a nearby high school start up a marine biology class, our Club and individual members made ALOT of donations (manpower, equipment, corals and fish) so I had requested the teacher/school to provide that:smile: They did so.

Thanks again and I'm hoping others will spend a moment or so helping with this. We have been approached quite often and I foresee it happening with other clubs as you referred to. I think it's inevitable; just a matter of time.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check these out... I created them in Google Docs so they are easy to share out. If you need an editable copy just send me your gmail address and I will give you read rights to the file. You can make a copy and edit to your heart's content.

Special thanks to Panera Bread for posting their donation terms online and easy to see. They fit well here with slight modifications...

Attachments

• DRAFT Donation Request Form 20140630 DRAFT-page-001.jpg
    DRAFT Donation Request Form 20140630 DRAFT-page-001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 143
  • DRAFT Donation Request Form 20140630 DRAFT-page-002.jpg
    DRAFT Donation Request Form 20140630 DRAFT-page-002.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 136
OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cheer2: Oh Wow, Cdness! That's AWESOME! Thank you!! It's just foolish to reinvent the wheel and this looks like it will work really well! I can't thank you enough! I'll pm my email addy now!:hug:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terri_ann, I did reinvent the wheel, but since there was so much info out there it was super easy... I can whip these things out no problem. I will add you to the document shortly.

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea.

Anyone know a bio class in Santa Monica?

Hey Santa Monica,
Bud/Turbo :0) might be donating a scrubber to the bio/marine class, can't remember off hand:9( I know when the Boone teacher started her tanks (180 & 220g) she had algae problems. High nutrients as kids(and teachers) tend to overfeed! lol hint, hint:0) Hope you find a bio class! The Boone teacher already has a 3 year list for students wanting to take the marine-bio class:0)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back