reef controller advice.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to go to work this morning (4am) and took a quick look at my tank before i left (habit) and i noticed my dosser was still running alk!!! i freaked out as i don't know how long it has been running. its suppose to be on for 30 min from 1030pm till 11pm. (Digital timer - brinks) As i took a look online i read that these timers SUCK and have a tendency to fail and then in return, let whatever is plugged into it run.... that happened to be my dosser unfortunately. i checked params when i got home, and everything was ok for the most part.

I have a lot of money and time invested into my tank and i do not want to crash it due to a poorly made timer. so here comes my question. I would like to control (on/off) from my phone/computer whenever its needed.
1: my lights ( 3 reef radiance led units)
2: skimmer
3:dosser(s)
4: power heads (2)
5: return pump
6: heater (maybe)

Ive been looking at the neptune apex systems, but im a guy who likes to see stuff in person and how its set up and used if ya know what i mean. Not only that, but there is a lot of add ons for it that i may or may not need. I live in an area where there is no serious aquarium hobbyist so im looking to you guys who have a set up like this. or if you would just recommend a better digital timers?

thanks.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex all the way! Been Using apex for about 3 years now, LOVE IT.

Sign up for a free fusion account, pm me your info and I'll add you as a viewer to my apex. You'll be able to look at my setup.

apexfusion.com

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot swear by their Apex controllers. I have a Reefkeeper and it works wonderfully. They have a new controller launching soon that is supposed to be the bees knees.

OP
OP
cginter

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot swear by their Apex controllers. I have a Reefkeeper and it works wonderfully. They have a new controller launching soon that is supposed to be the bees knees.
What's the difference between the two? And can both systems do what I was asking? What can you all control?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefkeeper elite. I also have a bunch of the modules for it. mine currently controls:

return pump
heater
ATO
skimmer pump
both WP40 in wave maker function
Reef Radiance LED
Fuge Light
Work light

Gives me PH, salinity and temp. I can control and get a readout on my phone.

I have 4 power bars and thus can hook up to 16 plugged in devices into mine. I dont need that many currently. APex can do the same.

IN November Digital Aquatics is launching the Archon system which will be web and linux based. wifi etc... going to be a big deal hopefully.

Apex is the leader right now. The Reefkeeper elite and lite systems are a bit more finicky and arent on the same level as the apex currently. They work though and mine does very well.

RK Status « Reeftronics

Imfortney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef angel+ and it works great! I am controlling 2 separate ATO's skimmer 2 Jabeo wp at different patterns and intensities also controlling 2 fans with 2 different temp probes. I am using it on 2 tanks. The reef angel you do have to either be able to copy and paste or be able to understand how HTML code works. Both would be a great investment, but the apex is easier to manipulate.

Reef Angel = Android
Apex = iPhone
Reef Keeper = Windows?

Just what I gathered from my research on the subject of controllers. I always enjoy changing programming on my android phones, so I purchased the Reef Angel.

Side note, I bought an iPhone 2 years ago, so I may or may not be trying to hide an Apex purchase in the future.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex! With Fusion it's very easy to program to do just about anything you want / need.

walkabout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind controls everything best investment I've made

Attachments

• 1412224211202.jpg
    1412224211202.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 243

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex, it was already a mile stone ahead on the competition but with the launch of the Fusion it will almost never be caught up.
RK, Angel and profilux just to name a few that kind of following on a distance are good controllers too.
A awesome PLUS for Apex is their over the top customer service.
My screen went black after 8 months and after a phone call and overnight shipping the next day I had a screen again.
Now with the Fusion on my iPhone a screen is not so much a luxury any more.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex on my display tank and a Reefkeeper on my frag tank. While both are capable of the same functions, the Apex is just easier and better thought out. At MACNA, Neptune Systems announced two big additions to the Apex family. A dual head dosing pump and a wavemaker system. Both will be controllable in the Apex Fusion system. Best part about Fusion is that you do not need to be a network engineer to port your data out to the Internet to access your system from your phone. It is all handled by the Apex and the Fusion website.

homegrowncoral88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently hooking my apex up. Only had it a day and it is awsome. Kind of off topic but is there a thread on here that shows you everything it can do and how to write some of the code?

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex. Everything above is true. I don't know if the others have modules to wirelessly control pumps and lights the way apex does. If you have vortechs the WXM module will let you control those wirelessly and you can program different modes throughout the day. Also Apex is expandable meaning you can add additional modules and energy bars to control other tanks/systems all with the one apex aqua controller unit.

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apex is what i run. i love this thing wish it was one of my first purchases i made for the tank makes things alot easier. and the number one thing i think haveing a controller to stop is heater malfuntions. i had a heater go out on me luckly it failed in the off position. when my tank started getting to cold the apex sent my phone a text message letting me know the temp was below normal. i was able to catch it in time. o and i was out of town when it happened go figure.

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I've had an Apex for 2 1/2 yrs. would never run a tank without one again! Originally it was a bit of a learning curve with all it can do but with the fusion interface it's much more user friendly. The piece of mind of being able to get text messages if something's wrong and being able to remotely see and turn things on or off is priceless. Best money I've spent on my tank. I look at it as insurance for the large investment I have in my tank! I researched a lot of controllers and believe it's the best value for your money. If you get one, you won't regret it!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently hooking my apex up. Only had it a day and it is awsome. Kind of off topic but is there a thread on here that shows you everything it can do and how to write some of the code?

Not sure if there's but start your own thread about how to write or handle your APEX and many R2R guru's will chime in to help you out.
You also can Google and it will pop up.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread on the many uses of apex that has a bunch of programs. There is also a forum you can join through neptune systems. Between here and their forum you will get almost all the answers you need

Back