Digital Aquatics Archon Controller

skripo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I found out about this site on Nano-Reef.com and was delighted to see a controller specific forum. I just pre-ordered a Digital Aquatics Archon controller over the Neptune for these reasons:

1) No display. Sounds crazy but I do everything off my iPhone so that was appealing to me.
2) Integrated net, no module
3) A ton of inputs and controls in the head unit means I don't initially need anything but the power bar
4) Relatively reasonable price of $399

It is important to note that I have been out of the hobby for the last 5 years and that my last controller was a Neptune Aquacontroller II with X10. Don't say it, I know.

A quick read of this forum seems to indicate a very heavy, if not exclusive preference for Neputne's Apex so I figured members could give me some very pointed DA Archon criticism before I give them full payment.

So I ask you, is there any TECHNICAL or FUNCTIONAL reason not to like it? I highlighted those words because I am not interested in what DA might have done in the past nor what Neptune is 'rumoured' to be working on. I'd like to keep this discussion focused on what I can buy before X-Mas.

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I found out about this site on Nano-Reef.com and was delighted to see a controller specific forum. I just pre-ordered a Digital Aquatics Archon controller over the Neptune for these reasons:

1) No display. Sounds crazy but I do everything off my iPhone so that was appealing to me.
2) Integrated net, no module
3) A ton of inputs and controls in the head unit means I don't initially need anything but the power bar
4) Relatively reasonable price of $399

It is important to note that I have been out of the hobby for the last 5 years and that my last controller was a Neptune Aquacontroller II with X10. Don't say it, I know.

A quick read of this forum seems to indicate a very heavy, if not exclusive preference for Neputne's Apex so I figured members could give me some very pointed DA Archon criticism before I give them full payment.

So I ask you, is there any TECHNICAL or FUNCTIONAL reason not to like it? I highlighted those words because I am not interested in what DA might have done in the past nor what Neptune is 'rumoured' to be working on. I'd like to keep this discussion focused on what I can buy before X-Mas.

The only possible technical setback is that if your web goes down or you lose your phone you can't monitor anything or make any changes. That is the only time a display comes handy. I am with you though in that I don't care about a display. I have a reef keeper lite and since initial setup I have never needed to make any changes. I will also say that for my needs I love my ReefKeeper and have never regretted my purchase.

OP
OP
S

skripo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it works like a router or NAS that hosts the interface within the device. You do not need to go out to the internet and back in for access so there is no danger of losing access if your internet goes down. As long as you have a local network running you can connect. You can also connect directly with a laptop via wireless or cable.

A cloud interface is usually an additional fee based service they provide for you to access the device without setting up port forwarding or needing a static IP (or NOIP). Frankly a little research and elbow grease will eliminate the need for such a service.

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it works like a router or NAS that hosts the interface within the device. You do not need to go out to the internet and back in for access so there is no danger of losing access if your internet goes down. As long as you have a local network running you can connect. You can also connect directly with a laptop via wireless or cable.

A cloud interface is usually an additional fee based service they provide for you to access the device without setting up port forwarding or needing a static IP (or NOIP). Frankly a little research and elbow grease will eliminate the need for such a service.

Whatever you say lol that's all beyond me. my reef keeper light does all I need lol. I am interested to see the Archon in action.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading anything and everything I can find on the Archon, you can convert the displays of the RKE and RKL to be displays for the Archon.

OP
OP
S

skripo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats correct. Kind of expensive if you don't already have one but if you do, great way to repurpose it.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Archon has WiFi built in along with its own web server. Any WiFi enabled device can talk to it. DA has said that eventually you will be able to use the RKE and RKL head units as a user IO of sorts. Not sure though of what they can or can not do. They said that it would make the head units similar to what the RD1 remote display is capable of.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whatever you say lol that's all beyond me. my reef keeper light does all I need lol. I am interested to see the Archon in action.

It makes perfect since to me .lol He's just saying if u have a wireless router in the house (most ppl do )it will always be able to connect in the confines of the home to do whatever u need .

The Archon has WiFi built in along with its own web server. Any WiFi enabled device can talk to it. DA has said that eventually you will be able to use the RKE and RKL head units as a user IO of sorts. Not sure though of what they can or can not do. They said that it would make the head units similar to what the RD1 remote display is capable of.

Glad to see u on here .U helped me so much .I learned a lot from your posts on the DA forums .It kept me from asking questions .I thought the name looked familiar to me .Now I need to ask .lol . So is the wait worth it for the Archon ?

Last edited:

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard any updates from DA on it? I pre ordered it after Xmas as they claimed they would start shipping on 1/1 but don't think that date happened...

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the Archon set up at MACNA 2014 in Denver. It is a very nice controller and honestly is going to give Neptune a good competitor. Many of the past issues have been resolved and they have really taken the ReefKeeper to the next level. I have never personally used it, but you will more than likely not regret your purchase.

For personal experience, I have found the displays to be less useful than the web interface, but they are nice for certain things. I like being able to walk by my tank and see the parameters the controller reads are in check. I also like the fact that I can access some of the functionality quickly via the display and do not need to pull out my phone. I started without a display for my Apex but ended up getting one anyway for the small benefits it provides...

If the DA Archon has built in WiFi (I can't remember) that is a nice bonus. I have a hacked router to provide wifi access to my Apex in my home network so I didn't have to buy a module. It would be nice to see the built in functionality though.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BlueZreef I think they are waiting for PB4's and PB8's they expect the PB4's later this week and the PB8's not sure. They have the controllers ready. I think the start date was suppose to be 1/20.

cdness It does have wifi. I have one of the beta units.

I will second Dave's comment it is with the wait. As it will ship now is just the beginning. There are more capabilities planned for it. The ease of programming is great. I programmed mine while in a carpool on the way to work on morning with my phone. That was everything alarms, timers and outputs. Those can also all be named.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skripo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to Amy at DA yesterday and she said they should start shipping early next week. Can't wait!

OP
OP
S

skripo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Archons are shipping, the Archons are shipping!

Well they day has finally arrived. DA posted a message informing fans that the first batch of Archons have shipped and I just got a call from DA to cough up. They are still short on PB4s so mine will only leave on Thursday.

Can't wait to see what experience reefers think of the units.

OP
OP
S

skripo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I would like to know is if the DCI can be used to control my gyre XF130. I know the Gyre is higher voltage but other than that, could it control it?

I would also like moon lights and Kessil control. I ordered the basic package with temp, ph, and PB4. What modules do you recommend?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I would like to know is if the DCI can be used to control my gyre XF130. I know the Gyre is higher voltage but other than that, could it control it?
Sorry I do not know anything about the gyre. I have 2 mp10's. How are they controlled?
I would also like moon lights and Kessil control. I ordered the basic package with temp, ph, and PB4. What modules do you recommend?
I think the Kessil is 0 a 10 volt control. If so you have 4 0-10 volt outputs built into the Archon. Two are rj22 ports the other two are one in each rj45 port. Since the ALC can control these I see no issue with the Archon doing it. I use these outputs to control LED lighting along with the 2 PWM outputs.

The MLC module is for moonlights. They control DA's own lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skripo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gyre is controlled by it's own controller. Kessils can easily be controlled by the Archon.

What software is used with the Archon? MyReef 2.0?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gyre is controlled by it's own controller. Kessils can easily be controlled by the Archon.

What software is used with the Archon? MyReef 2.0?
You don't need any software with the Archon. All you need is a browser on your device. Firefox seems to work best, the order for me from best is Firefox, Safari, IE then Chrome. It will work with all. I have tried it with a windows 8.1 laptop, iPad and the Motorola X phone. They all worked well.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back