RKE failure - has this ever happened to you?

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've a RKE system for about 6 months which consists of 4 power bars, lunar, PH/temp/orp, network and hub/splitter modules. I also have the USB cable hooked up to a laptop which I use to monitor the graphs and apply software updates.

While I was away on business.... of course everything goes wrong when you are traveling, right? The house sitter called and said the tank is acting funny????? Not something you want to hear when you are 1000 miles away!

Anyways long story short the RKE system seemed to have gone into a error mode which resulted in only the devices set to Default On were running because when I set up the system I made sure the recirculation pump and skimmer would continue to run. So upon my return there was a error code on the screen (forgot to write it down) and all the various devices where flashing blue lights and laptop wasn't reading any data. So my first thought was disconnect the laptop, reboot and see what happens. I shutdown the laptop and disconnected the phone cord for the USB device from the hub and magically.... the RKE system came back on line! So just for the heck of it I disconnected the USB from the laptop and plugged the phone cord back into the hub and the RKE system shutdown again and went into a error mode. of course unplugged it and everything is fine

so to sum it up it seems like the USB connctor has failed but I'm curious if this is just a one off situation or has other experienced this problem? Follow up question how could the failure of this USB device crash the entire system?

Any other advice is always appreciated.

Thanks!

jvu61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow you got yours to connect to he pc .... pretty cool ... I have mine almost 2 years and cant get it t do the pc thing but other then that it has always worked well from the control panel

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure and hook the SID to the computer then to the RKE system. I have found that it is usually a buss cable connection. Try reseating all of your buss cables. The SID being hooked up will exacerbate the problem. I use a USB server to hook to the SID instead of hooking it directly to the computer.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have not had much luck keeping the SID plugged in to the buss for extended periods of time. Just does not work for me and can be a cause for Major buss errors.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the tips. I would really like to get it working again because it's pretty cool using the laptop to operate the RKE system instead of the small keypad.

If I can figure out how to get it working again I'll share the results with you all.

Back