APEX DOS for Auto Water Change vs Genesis Reef Systems Renew Pro

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get feedback for anyone who is using the DOS from Apex to perform continous water changes. Looking to do about 1 gallon per day. I'm looking into the renew pro from genesis reef systems as well but would then need to shut off my Tunze osmolator which would require me to shut it down from a controller (which I currently do not have). Looking at buying the apex gold package and adding the DOS module versus getting the apex junior, and using the renew pro. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no feedback on this one, but I went ahead and bought the DOS and Apex controller with lab grade pH probe. Looking forward to getting automated!

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get feedback for anyone who is using the DOS from Apex to perform continous water changes. Looking to do about 1 gallon per day. I'm looking into the renew pro from genesis reef systems as well but would then need to shut off my Tunze osmolator which would require me to shut it down from a controller (which I currently do not have). Looking at buying the apex gold package and adding the DOS module versus getting the apex junior, and using the renew pro. Any thoughts?

I'd go the controller and dos route. No reason you cant use the dos to do the water changes.

cheezefrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here, I was in the market just recently for a peristaltic doser...bought the jeabo, nice and cheap. But the DOS looks super nice, really liked the water change feature on it, which is exclusively what I would probably use it for anyway. Never thought about slow dosing water changes before...

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing this. I have it change 1.6 gallons each day and I have it do it in two hours in the morning.

So I have it set to change 6500ml from 0800-1000

I absolutely love this thing! With it being from apex you get a graph of how much is dosed when on your fusion display.

There are currently problems with the log that they are working on where it's showing the things not dosing the correct amount.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423853097.762742.jpg

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing this. I have it change 1.6 gallons each day and I have it do it in two hours in the morning.

So I have it set to change 6500ml from 0800-1000

I absolutely love this thing! With it being from apex you get a graph of how much is dosed when on your fusion display.

There are currently problems with the log that they are working on where it's showing the things not dosing the correct amount.

Did you buy a wireless router for the apex?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No as far as I know it isn't able to be ran wirelessly. I have mine hard wired into my modem.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a game adaptor and leave that next to your tank. Just don't use it to upgrade firmware

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went with a hardwire directly to the apex which was a pain but worth it in the end. I love the DOS. Use it for a continuouse water change at about a gallon a day. Im using an old bubble magus for my 3 part but will likely upgrade to another DOS eventually.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those doing this w/the DOS or other method, how do you handle evaporation so that your salinity doesnt rise? Ideally, it would be nice to get rid of the ATO with this.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I have it set up the DOS changes out and adds small quantities of h20 every 10 minutes throughout the day. But I still use a tunze osmolator and go through about 20 gallons a week of freshwater. Im not sure just using the DOS will alleviate the need for ATO.

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the dos for continuos water changes and I still go through ATO similar to before.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months back, I was trying to mount my DOS onto the wall in the basement where my RODI unit is located and makes water. In a moment of complete idiocy, I drilled into it, ruining the aquabus ports. SO, I begrudgingly purchased another DOS while the drilled one was sent in for repair. The other day, I linked the 2 DOS units and am using the 2nd one to top off the ATO container. In order to prevent floods, I set the refill rate to be just under the 1 gallon/day evaporation rate. So now I only have to go down for water every week or 2.
With an automatic feeder, I was able to go on vacation for 6 days without needing anyone to maintain it! I must say, the DOS makes life much easier!

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cfb70a10c2c9f130edcd73fa1d7de733.png
another question kind of the same. I tried just setting up the dos to dos 2.5 ml a day but this is what is showing. When I click on the actual graph it displays 2.5 in an hour & .04 every 10 mins. What is what I want it to do. Why it reads this and a few times it dosed 200 mil in an hour. Need some help.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back