Controller Question

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question somewhere else but I feel like there is more RKE love here so here it is.

I was curious. I bought a used RKE with net that Im going to use on my upcoming 60 gallon cube build. Trying to figure out if I need or would utilize one of the DJ 8 channel power switch stations that used to be so popular. For those of you who use a controller, do you still use something like that? Is there a way to incorporate the power station with a controller?

The way that Im seeing it; and I have zero experience with either, is that you would have to plug in a whole pc4 to one switched outlet which doesn't seem to have to many advantages.

Right now my equipment list should be
Rke
Kessil 360we
jns skimmer
couple heaters
1262 return pump
vortech mp10
avast gfo reactor ran off of manifold
probably a carbon reactor of some sort.
I plan on using the RKE for Ato as well.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered you on RC, but I'll hit you here as well. I do not see a need for a DJ strip with the RKE (Or Apex for that matter). If all of your devices, pumps, skimmer, heaters, etc. are plugged in and controlled buy the RKE, then you can set it up using standbys as well as switch triggers to do things such as shutting certain items down or turning them on. You can access the four standbys on the RKE to do things like shutting down your return for feeding, shutting down your return and skimmer for cleaning, etc. You could also program it so a push button on the stand somewhere triggers an event that would be equivalent to flipping a switch on a DJ strip. I think it is an unnecessary complication to your system.

OP
OP
Big B

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave,
I thought about just sending you a PM with this question but figured there might be someone else who wondered the same thing. Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure how easy it was getting into a standby mode on the rk head unit. Im hoping to start the building of my stand in the next couple of weeks and if I was going to use one I wanted to go ahead and order it for planning on the stand build. Looks like Ill be saving a few extra bucks.

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In using a controller, I agree with Dave. I suppose it might be possible to set it up as a device, but I can't see how it would be helpful unless you know of things you won't be able to connect to your controller (like if you don't have enough outlets?), and in that case, I guess it could b helpful... but I'd see it as a temp fix until you could buy another RKE module with controllable outlets. I know when I set up my controller, I got rid of my DJ strip.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually very easy to get into standby modes. Just a couple button pushes. The other option, having a switch that triggers a programmed event, is even easier to use, while slightly more involved to set up. Either way could work with the buttons being placed in a convenient spot on or in the stand.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a reef keeper lite. I am PO'd that my LFS didn't sell me one years ago. I just hooked up my ATO. I can't believe I've never had one before. I also have it running my carbon dosing and temp control. I use Tom's aqua lifters. I found you tube videos on how to set up and program. You will be able to find how to videos to help walk you through the steps.

Back