Apex Controller....... oh the things you can do!! ** Discussion Thread **

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a discussion thread for the many usages for the infamous Apex/Jr Controllers... the ideas will be quoted into this thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq.../65564-apex-controller-oh-things-you-can.html

we all know it monitors alot of stuff but this thread will contain a list of things the R2R community has their controlers do for them...
eg: 1:switch off Daylights when the temp gets too high
2:control a calcium reactor
3:turn on/off lights

Last edited:

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ALK and Calb dosing pumps set to turn off in case pH goes above 8.4.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 056:00/004:00/000:00 Then ON
If Time 08:00 to 00:00 Then OFF
If pH > 08.40 Then OFF

My favorite thing is the email. I have mine set to also tell me when there was a power outage AND email me every day at 7PM to make sure the network is running properly:

Set OFF
If Temp < 70.0 Then ON
If Temp > 84.0 Then ON
If pH < 07.70 Then ON
If pH > 08.60 Then ON
If Time 19:00 to 19:03 Then ON
If Power EB8_3 Off 002 Then ON
If Power Apex Off 003 Then ON
Defer 002:00 Then ON

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something happened to the master thread. Waiting on the mods reply.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things-

I don't just turn my lights on and off, I have my Apex dim the blue and the white LEDs separately so that I have just the blues ramp up from 5% (the minimum the driver can dim) to 100% over the 1/2 hour until sunrise. Next the white comes on from 5% to 100% over the next 2 hours. Both channels are on at 100% for the next few hours for the full noon effect before they start dimming toward sunset. The sunrise and sunset times also vary according to the solar schedule. It is also set where I can select a color scheme (10,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K) and it automatically dims the lights to the correct level.

The temperature range of my tank is set to vary by the seasons like the ocean does. I have a heater come on if it's too cool and a fan come on if it's too hot.

The Apex controls my ATO and lets me know if the fresh water container runs low so that I can refill it.

I have the Apex control my Vortech MP10wES pumps, mostly having them on nutrient export, but sometimes changing them from synch to asynch.

I also have the Apex turn on my autofeeder everyday at 1:00pm and turn the pumps on to 100% so that the fish have to chase their food.

The best thing is that it is set to text me if any of the parameters are too far out and the built-in controls haven't handled it (too hot, too cold, pH too high or too low, too much water in the sump, ATO is out of water, ORP is too high or too low, power is out for too long).

I plan to add a sensor to my skimmate cup to let me know when that is full soon and a contact so that it automatically turn on the lights under my stand when I open the doors.

CJ

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry one of the mods thought it was a double thread. I have moved it back.

I just sold my RKE and got an apex so I have questions.

1. My new skimmer has a float switch built in, but it is just two naked wires on the end. How would I use that with my apex? Is there something I need to buy?

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things-

I don't just turn my lights on and off, I have my Apex dim the blue and the white LEDs separately so that I have just the blues ramp up from 5% (the minimum the driver can dim) to 100% over the 1/2 hour until sunrise. Next the white comes on from 5% to 100% over the next 2 hours. Both channels are on at 100% for the next few hours for the full noon effect before they start dimming toward sunset. The sunrise and sunset times also vary according to the solar schedule. It is also set where I can select a color scheme (10,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K) and it automatically dims the lights to the correct level.

The temperature range of my tank is set to vary by the seasons like the ocean does. I have a heater come on if it's too cool and a fan come on if it's too hot.

The Apex controls my ATO and lets me know if the fresh water container runs low so that I can refill it.

I have the Apex control my Vortech MP10wES pumps, mostly having them on nutrient export, but sometimes changing them from synch to asynch.

I also have the Apex turn on my autofeeder everyday at 1:00pm and turn the pumps on to 100% so that the fish have to chase their food.

The best thing is that it is set to text me if any of the parameters are too far out and the built-in controls haven't handled it (too hot, too cold, pH too high or too low, too much water in the sump, ATO is out of water, ORP is too high or too low, power is out for too long).

I plan to add a sensor to my skimmate cup to let me know when that is full soon and a contact so that it automatically turn on the lights under my stand when I open the doors.

CJ

What auto feeder are you using?

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ALK and Calb dosing pumps set to turn off in case pH goes above 8.4.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 056:00/004:00/000:00 Then ON
If Time 08:00 to 00:00 Then OFF
If pH > 08.40 Then OFF

My favorite thing is the email. I have mine set to also tell me when there was a power outage AND email me every day at 7PM to make sure the network is running properly:

Set OFF
If Temp < 70.0 Then ON
If Temp > 84.0 Then ON
If pH < 07.70 Then ON
If pH > 08.60 Then ON
If Time 19:00 to 19:03 Then ON
If Power EB8_3 Off 002 Then ON
If Power Apex Off 003 Then ON
Defer 002:00 Then ON

This is a nice functionality please elaborate so I can move it on the other thread. ie what's equipment used and how it was connected physically.

Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone set programed dual power heads, wave maker? Alternating on and off. One on for 10 sec the other off and So on? What would the code look like?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone set programed dual power heads, wave maker? Alternating on and off. One on for 10 sec the other off and So on? What would the code look like?

You would just use the OSC command for one pump and the other pump just have it turn off if the first pump is on.

CJ

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way one can integrate the tunze ato into the apex system so I can see how often the tank is being topped off.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way one can integrate the tunze ato into the apex system so I can see how often the tank is being topped off.

Unless you want to splice some wires, I don't think there is.

CJ

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back