CerMedia MarinePure Biofilter Media Last for Years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquariumSpecialtyNews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CerMedia MarinePure Biofilter Media Last for years

5/24/13 4:31 PM

We stumbled acoss Cermedia, the makers of MarinePure Biofilter Media the other day so we decided to investivate and I think we will be glad we did. The makers of MarinePure Biofilter Media have created an ultra high surface ceramic biofilter media that will reduce nitrits, ammonia and nitrates from you system for years to come without the need for replacement. MarinePure's Thin Bio-Film Technology tm promotes better bacteria growth that can be used in trickle filters, canister filters, media reactors or in areas where water can be passed through the media such as a sump compartment.
Aquarium Specialty is going to run a test on one of our reef tanks to see how well the media reduces nitrites, ammonia and nitrate. Once the test results are complete we will post the data in a new article.
MarinePure comes in several form factors. Here's a general breakdown of the some various products and how they can be used. To see the complete listing of MarinePure products with pricing visit this link.
marinepure_spheres-blog-2.jpg
1½" Spheres

Designed for Ammonia and Nitrite Removal
One MarinePure Sphere has the same surface area as 1,350 plastic 1.5" bio-balls.
Sizes available:

• 2-quart
  • 1-gallon
  • 5-gallon
  • 100-liter
Use in canister filters, sumps, and wet/dry filters.

marinepure_blocks-blog.jpg

8x8x4" Block

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate Removal
Primarily designed to provide deep anaerobic zones for de-nitrification in passive systems.
Live rock substitute-popular among reef hobbyists as a substitute for live rock because it reduces nitrates more efficiently without harming the environment.
Use in sumps, stacked in extra-large filters.
MP2C-C-blog.jpg

Mixed Sizes in a 1 gallon mesh bag MP2C-c

Primarily designed to provide deep anaerobic zones for de-nitrification in passive systems.
Live rock substitute-popular among reef hobbyists as a substitute for live rock because it reduces nitrates more efficiently without harming the environment.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CerMedia MarinePure Biofilter Media Last for years

5/24/13 4:31 PM

We stumbled acoss Cermedia, the makers of MarinePure Biofilter Media the other day so we decided to investivate and I think we will be glad we did. The makers of MarinePure Biofilter Media have created an ultra high surface ceramic biofilter media that will reduce nitrits, ammonia and nitrates from you system for years to come without the need for replacement. MarinePure's Thin Bio-Film Technology tm promotes better bacteria growth that can be used in trickle filters, canister filters, media reactors or in areas where water can be passed through the media such as a sump compartment.
Aquarium Specialty is going to run a test on one of our reef tanks to see how well the media reduces nitrites, ammonia and nitrate. Once the test results are complete we will post the data in a new article.
MarinePure comes in several form factors. Here's a general breakdown of the some various products and how they can be used. To see the complete listing of MarinePure products with pricing visit this link.
marinepure_spheres-blog-2.jpg
1½" Spheres

Designed for Ammonia and Nitrite Removal
One MarinePure Sphere has the same surface area as 1,350 plastic 1.5" bio-balls.
Sizes available:

• 2-quart
  • 1-gallon
  • 5-gallon
  • 100-liter
Use in canister filters, sumps, and wet/dry filters.

marinepure_blocks-blog.jpg

8x8x4" Block

MP2C-C-blog.jpg

Mixed Sizes in a 1 gallon mesh bag MP2C-c

. What were the results of your test?

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good bump!
I had two blocks in my tank just for fun. When I was cycling the new setup I was trying Dr. Tims all-in-one. His ammonia additive worked, the all-in-one did nothing. So I pulled the two cermedia blocks from my current tank and threw them in. They cycled the tank within a week. So I would say they work well for ammonia and nitrite. Now they are extremely porous so I'm not sure about how well they reduce nitrates.

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 8x8x1 plate as well as 2 quarts of the 1.5 inch spheres for my 55 gal (fish/softies) thats been running for about 8 months. My goal is to eliminate about 15-20lbs of live rock from my display in order to achieve a more minimalist aquascape. Maybe I can get a couple of questions answered.

How do I swap out the old bio-balls with the new marinepure spheres with out losing the the beneficial bacteria?
Should I add all the spheres and the plate to the system let them sit for a few weeks then eliminate the old bio-balls?
Do I replace half of the old bio-balls with half of the new spheres, then do the same with the remaining bio-balls a few weeks later? or should I do it in multiple stages maybe 3-4?
I know about the measurables when it comes to surface area and water retention, while discussing this topic with a buddy of mine he kept asking for a comparison of the weight of the live rock vs spheres, is there a way of knowing how much live rock I'm able to replace with a certain amount of marinepure spheres/plate?

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 8x8x1 plate as well as 2 quarts of the 1.5 inch spheres for my 55 gal (fish/softies) thats been running for about 8 months. My goal is to eliminate about 15-20lbs of live rock from my display in order to achieve a more minimalist aquascape. Maybe I can get a couple of questions answered.

How do I swap out the old bio-balls with the new marinepure spheres with out losing the the beneficial bacteria?
Should I add all the spheres and the plate to the system let them sit for a few weeks then eliminate the old bio-balls?
Do I replace half of the old bio-balls with half of the new spheres, then do the same with the remaining bio-balls a few weeks later? or should I do it in multiple stages maybe 3-4?
I know about the measurables when it comes to surface area and water retention, while discussing this topic with a buddy of mine he kept asking for a comparison of the weight of the live rock vs spheres, is there a way of knowing how much live rock I'm able to replace with a certain amount of marinepure spheres/plate?

I suggest you add the spheres and block and let it sit for a few weeks, then slowly take out the bio balls, a handful a week give or take.

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up the 8x8x1 plate is impossible to ship, the packaging is horrible. I received 3 cracked or shattered plates. After going back and forth with amazon and several attempts to replace them I just gave up and requested a refund. I kept the spheres though.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered one from Dr Smith and Foster. We'll see how it goes.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been in two weeks now. Added some dr Tim's live bacteria too. Nitrates dropped 10 points when I tested today. Could it be working? Cool stuff

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back