!!!CLIPPED Vs SHIPPED!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to try to keep this as least self indulgent or defensive as possible but I though I'd take a minute to address a subject i have seeing pop up more and more. Maybe not directly aimed at me but it's no secret that 99.9% of all the frags I post in my forum are for the most part fresh cut, as in having just been clipped and mounted within a day or two at the most.

While demand has made it incredibly difficult to maintain a swath of encrusted frags of most of the gems you guys go crazy for my systems aren’t even large enough to really facilitate it either. I have dedicated nearly all of my real estate to my mother colonies And that space is continuing to shrink as they mature despite being maimed constantly lol! That is the beauty and the drawback of a fully aquacultured operation. I cant just order more. The stuff has to not only grow, it has to THRIVE long term!

Consequently I have been a cut to order operation since day one. Hoping to change that in the future and looking at expansions options as i type this but for now i am still clipping to order just about everything.

There has been a lot of debate and discussion about seeing fresh cut sps and glue and pristine plugs etc so i though for the sake of it I'd share a decent example of a recent pack after being clipped and then again the day it went out two weeks later.

Survivability in transit has a lot more to do with the genetics and stability of of an acro than the time it was clipped. i am a firm believer that well acclimated and captive sps frags are extremely resilient almost to the point of miraculous and will endure extremes far beyond what the rest of the colony would put up with. If this wasn’t the case the majority of us not fortunate enough to live near thriving reefs would not have any sps at all because they would all die in transit.

so anyway,I could go on about wild cuts ands chop shops and whatnot but ill save that diatribe for another day.

Today i just wanted to share a good example of a pack the day it was actually shipped vs the day it was clipped:)

The pack as it was showcased in this thread! about two weeks ago. G
lue everywhere and plugs as clean and white as snow! well actually a little tan but you get the idea.

IMG_1090-Edit-Edit_zps4dfd2477.jpg

And here is the same pack yesterday before it went out. frags encrusting a little, plugs a little dirtier, color holding well and all are looking happy

IMG_1207_zps18383997.jpg

So to reiterate a little. If you are one of those guys that doesn't like to see fresh cuts or glue or maybe you are one of the more vocal opponents that has a bit more to say when they see stuff like that, rest assured that I don't ship coral until I am comfortable doing so. In most cases this means holding it for at least a week or two but I will always let a new customer know that i am willing to hold them as long as they like and do so often. I know it sucks to have to wait but i'll always send you a pic to keep you at bay in the meantime:)

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice growth for two weeks. Awesome pack. This is the way the hobby should be. I do the same thing, cut, take pictures and allow to heal for about 10 days or more. It's a proven process. Good write up.

Tweaked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing growth indeed Adam! You have some amazing acros and I am still shocked you charge so little for your gems.

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew anything was wrong with fresh cut...because I've never had any problems with the 50+ fresh cut frags I've received from you. However; I've only order from you. Trust assured fresh or not...BC will not disappoint!!! But you gave me some idea...tank has another month or so of cycling to go. I should customized my packs and have them shipped later. They may look like mini colonies at the rate that grow in your system...maybe that will force you to expand your real estate.:cry:

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference in what you're doing and what some vendors do.

I'll take a fresh cut aquacultured frag any day. The fresh cut wild/maricultured is what I try to avoid.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a version of that pack and all 10 came in looking awesome. I think I gave you the OK to ship just a few days after cutting.

Speaking of.... May be placing another order very very soon. :). Almost all of your corals got early promotions to the DT and the FT is looking empty.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking pack, what was #5 ? Once I get my new tank I 100% plan on ordering from you.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, do you have a storefront or allow visitors to your facility? I would love to come check out your stuff. I see nothing but great stuff when you post!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adam, I don't think most reefers--the ones who have been around long enough to have a valid opinion on this issue (by that I mean people who know from experience rather than just copy and pasting what they read on the internet)--know that you are one of the top SPS guys in the business. I wouldn't worry bc I don't think most any of us ever had a doubt about your integrity or the quality of your packs.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one who would complain about your methods has obviously never ordered from you. Your frags are always healthy and a good size and I've seen you say on multiple occasions that you will hold corals for as long as the buyer likes. Keep trucking man, IMO you are one of the best venders on here.

Bigmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a nice pack from Adam last year, all arrived in awesome shape and good color, packaging was excellent. have orderd from a few other vendors and what arrived was nothing like what was described. And the freebie he included ended up growing/coloring up into one of my favorites from the pack

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam, they love that piece! LOL

Dude its cool. totally unique acro. I'll have to send you a piece back one of these days.

And thanks a ton guys for chiming in. I am just a guy doing his best really!

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep doing what you do Adam, I have been nothing but happy with everything I have received from you.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I i think a lot of the guys saying that stuff are noobs...once you've got a stable system and some experience , fresh cut or not doesn't make a darn difference! I wouldn't lose any sleep over it ;) never ordered from you but have been putting a wish list together for the near future...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1

I don't think those comments are directed at you.

No I agree and wasn't really trying to single any one out even. This is a subject that pops up every now and then and there always a few know it alls that will tell the rest of us how it should be and what not lol. I was more just wanting to let anyone who who may be on the fence about ordering and sees countless frags in my forum that aren't encrusting one bit how i really do things over here1smile1

Thanks again for all the comments guys. I appreciate every one of them

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Adams mega pack with the bloodbath unicorn and everything came in looking even better than the pictures. Full color to this day and everything encrusting. That was my third or fourth order from him and it's the same experience every time. I don't know the issue with freshly cut pieces... hasn't ever been an issue for me.

The biggest problem in this industry is misleading pictures. Half the vendors everyone fawns over takes very misleading pictures. I've bought pieces with stung branches not even in the picture and vendor acted like I was a freak for questioning him hiding the dead stem. One of the most "famous" coral vendors in the industry.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back