!!!!MOVE OVER Mr OREGON!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's right. There's a new blue in town. Well actually a pretty old and painfully slow growing blue in town.

Smitty's Chicago Blues, named after legendary local reefer Badsmitty who traded me this piece over four years ago now! I have been watching this thing almost daily ever since. Honestly your looking at four solid years of growth. The stalk in the center was the original frag that never grew while the base has been encrusting and growing from day one.

This is one of those acros that people who are fortunate enough to get me to shut my pumps off so you can actually see whats in the tanks gravitate to immediately. The blue is so deep and so penetrating that it's impossible not to really. Even with the surface churning, pumps on full blast I've had people blare out "what the heck is that blue mass right there as their finger hovers over a blury glowing blue spectacle beneath. Then followed by countless pleas for frags. The answer is always the same. "Sorry guys she's just not ready yet" I'll say to them. Their spirits dampened for a moment then lifted at the notion that they may one day have this for their own. The truth is she's not ready. This is just one of those painfully slow growing super gems that you don't want to touch. Ever!

The good news is that it really seems to be gaining momentum this past year moving from a nubless encrusted tile to actual branches emerging from the plated growth. In fact probably should have given it another year or two before I even shot it but I just couldn't wait any longer. I had to document this one.

You ask, can I frag it for you.....? No. I am afraid I can't. But take some solace in knowing that this thing does exist and is thriving here as it has for the last four years. And that hopefully, eventually I'll have enough of this one to go around a little.

Smittys' Chicago Blues Just as blue and amazing as blue and amazing could ever be! And one of the most prized and coveted sps of my entire collection:nerd:
IMG_2168_zpsqsinalsg.jpg

IMG_2165_zpsuduv6gqf.jpg

IMG_2173_zpsdtoj2ppf.jpg

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a stunner Adam. I find the growth pattern pretty special too. It's like the whole base is all growing at the same rate. Pretty cool.

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice piece! It looks more like A. gomezi to me. I had a similar piece I bought in '09 from Atlantis, Ming was getting alot of Indo cultured pieces labeled A.echinata that were clearly not echinata but more tort and gomezi like. Anyhow the blue on the piece I recieved was insanely blue, where you look at it under MH and it almost has like a weird reddish peripheral glow coming off the blue. Sadly I lost my piece and the piece I fragged to a friend was lost as well. I'll look to see if I have any pics of it still.Time will tell with that one, but the Oregon tort still tops my list of blue acros.

C4!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting Revs Holy water and adding salt?? Definitely blessed with some amazing color! :hail:

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someday all these gems will be mine muuuuhhhaaaaaaa! Just kidding, or am I.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Someday all these gems will be mine muuuuhhhaaaaaaa! Just kidding, or am I.

not at all . you just have to make the trip down!

And Reefsponge I agree. Even though I am horrible at sps id's I never even called it a tort lol;) just a blue!

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang adam, you have some really nice gems hidden in your tanks, ive been to your place a handful of times and im always surprised what you have hiding :)

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotcha, I think I went a little to deep into the title:) love all the corallites starring at me coming out of that base, sweet pics and coral.

not at all . you just have to make the trip down!

And Reefsponge I agree. Even though I am horrible at sps id's I never even called it a tort lol;) just a blue!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_20150327_083858.jpg
Hey Adam that piece looks like it could fall off at any time. :xd:

LOL! Yeah thats the post I've been waiting for. Tempting g as it may seem clipping those low hangers is what perpetuates then never maturing colony:( I will admit that i clipped one of those off a few months ago for my back up system but that was it. I think once this guy finally hits critical mass we'll see a lot more action.

most of those nubs all happened within this past year which is considerably more growth than the the three years prior. with any luck it'll take off here soon:) and then ill frag the crap out of it.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever thought about nipping the tip off the main stalk now that it is encrusted? I have found that the frags I have mounted that way hardly ever grow in the middle, but after I snip off a tiny little bit from the tip it takes off after encrusting over the tip again...

I know where you can send what you cut off too for safe keeping ;)

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever thought about nipping the tip off the main stalk now that it is encrusted? I have found that the frags I have mounted that way hardly ever grow in the middle, but after I snip off a tiny little bit from the tip it takes off after encrusting over the tip again...

I know where you can send what you cut off too for safe keeping ;)

Happens every time for me, the initial frag doesn't grow but the coral encrusts and then sprouts new growth. I've started snapping that intial piece off and remounting it.

I find fragging acros similar to pruning plants-you frag it and "splits"

Nice acro Adam :)

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who grows acropora slower than a turtle walking through peanut butter

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back