And so it begins. Basement Sump.

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I decided to install wood flooring in the house, it is time for a big change. Moving the sump to the basement. I have already picked up a 150 gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tank for the sump.
And will be updating this thread as I go. Just for fun and for suggestions by the community.

Step one is complete. Building the manifold.

Attachments

• 1413299479891.jpg
    1413299479891.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 214

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be watching. When my house is rebuilt I'll be putting my sump in the basement. What are you doing for return pump and how much head do you have to overcome? I was looking at around 14-16' and couldn't decide on what type of pump.

butters417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shouldnt the valves be on the other end of the unions? then you disconnect the union water will flow...

OP
OP
Fieryfrog

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I flipped them around. I wasn't paying attention when I staged it. That was one of those dur moments for me.

OP
OP
Fieryfrog

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. No. This is the new pic. I did it like this, so if I have to disconnect the manifold I won't get draining from my tank. If I am ever working on any of this, I would have the pump off. The right two are the feeders for the tank. The center left for my Algae scrubber and the far left is no being used. Yet.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. No. This is the new pic. I did it like this, so if I have to disconnect the manifold I won't get draining from my tank. If I am ever working on any of this, I would have the pump off. The right two are the feeders for the tank. The center left for my Algae scrubber and the far left is no being used. Yet.
Just out of curiosity, why would you have draining from the tank after the pump is off? Yeah it will drain for a minute or so but then it stops draining. It seems like having the valves below the unions would be better in case you change your plumbing down the road you can disconnect a line and dont have to have it attached to anything? If you havent' glued it it might be something to consider. I'm sure it works fine either way.
Another question though, is that a threaded reducer going into the quick union? If so does that mean the union is smaller than the pipe? Not that it matters I am just curious. I would highly recommend glued fittings rather than threaded though. I can almost never get threaded connections to not leak when they face the pump using a pressure rated pump. Especially if I ever mix schedule 80 with schedule 40, but you didn't do this so you should be good. This is with all the pipe dope you can imagine too.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures to show you what happened to me, its schedule 80 nipple coming out of the pump into a threaded union and it was a leaking nightmare (months later I think it has plugged itself for the most part:

Oh and if you ever want to stop by and see my basement setup feel free to give me a call.

OP
OP
Fieryfrog

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up Tyler. After seeing that, I think I will find slip instead of threaded. I have unions upstairs also, just in case I do have to change the upper plumbing. I guess it is a bit of overkill.

Those aren't reducers going into the unions. The two middle T's go from 1 1/2" to 1 " out. And the elbows on the ends have glued reducers from 1 1/2" to 1".

I would like to see how you have yours set up. I have never actually seen anyone with the basement sump set up. So I am just going off of what I assume I need. And you know what they say about assume....

OP
OP
Fieryfrog

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peter. I am going to be running the Reeflo Barracuda pump with about 15 ft of head. With 3- 90 degree elbows.

ReeFlo Barracuda/Hammerhead Hybrid 6000/4590GPH - Bulk Reef Supply

Once I have it up and running I will shoot you some pics. And when you rebuild let me know. I'm sure a bunch of us would want to come out and help get everything set back up.

jester17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyler I had a hard time with threaded unions dripping too slip is easier unless u absolutely need threaded i had to use threaded to connect bulk heads to my sump just make shure to use the right thread plumbing tape

Back