My clam collection from 1990 to Present

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the clams ive had through the years. Enjoy guys!

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:

shrimplet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow stunning collection of clams !! That first one with 2 colors is sweet!!

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow!! nice collection!! there are some real beauties in there. I love the one that is green with a couple lobes on the mantle that are brown, those are unique.. also like the purple-ish teardrop maxima, and the one above it that looks like a galaxy (just to name a few of my favorites from your collection)..

you should write some blogs on what you've learned over the past 24 years..

Last edited:
OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the compliments! I try to help out on here with clam questions if skinz doesnt beat me to it lol

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the compliments! I try to help out on here with clam questions if skinz doesnt beat me to it lol

that purple one you use in your avatar is gorgeous too.. which one(s) have been with you the longest?

I would like to know your experiences with livestock being clam safe over that 24 years.. this is a difficult thing to find info on, most livestock is listed as "reef-safe" or "reef safe/with caution" or "not reef safe", but there is never any indication of compatiblilty with clams or risk of mantle nipping. that is my number one concern buying any new mobile livestock..

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amyga5up.jpg

This one is awesome

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that purple one you use in your avatar is gorgeous too.. which one(s) have been with you the longest?

I would like to know your experiences with livestock being clam safe over that 24 years.. this is a difficult thing to find info on, most livestock is listed as "reef-safe" or "reef safe/with caution" or "not reef safe", but there is never any indication of compatiblilty with clams or risk of mantle nipping. that is my number one concern buying any new mobile livestock..

Ive kept probably gigas (8 years) derasa (11 years) and maxima (8 years) the longest
As for clam safe fish, i would say any fish is suspect. I had a yellow tang develop a taste for clams. So its hit or miss with fish, just depends on the fish, not so much species. Shrimp and crabs normally leave them alone unless a piece of food falls into the mantle, or the clam is already dying, then they will come eat it

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept probably gigas (8 years) derasa (11 years) and maxima (8 years) the longest
As for clam safe fish, i would say any fish is suspect. I had a yellow tang develop a taste for clams. So its hit or miss with fish, just depends on the fish, not so much species. Shrimp and crabs normally leave them alone unless a piece of food falls into the mantle, or the clam is already dying, then they will come eat it
so far I've had to banish a pygmy angel that was really well behaved with all coral but developed a taste for clam mantle about 3 months after getting my first clam :(, and I had to banish an emerald crab.. the emerald was going after my first clam like it was catnip (crabnip?) within minutes of putting it in the tank..

ak_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Roy those are beautiful! ! That clam in the 12th pic is ridiculous! Between you and Chris that's a lot of clams!

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking. Collection from past to present

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome collection. I like how you have some up in your rock scape. I have only had a few clams but I can never get them to stay on my scape. I place them and then I find them in the sand the next day. I've even waited for them to attach to a small piece of rubble and then moved them but they always end up back in the sand so I figured that was where they were happiest. I have only tried it with the small maximas but its frustrating....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back