lighting for a clam

magicbuddha19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a marine orbit 48''-64'' led lighting system on my 72 bow front reef tank...if i have a spot around 3/4 of the way to the top of the tank, would I be able to put a clam there????

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my opinion that clams are best kept in shallow tanks, with lots of light. They require a TON of light, depending on species. You may be able to swing a Derasa clam, but keeping a ultra colored maxima would be a challenge.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1397696176295.jpg

My crocea, been under metal halide in a 30 inch deep tank for 6 years or so. So I would say you're OK.

Edit: Maybe not, that's seems like a pretty low powered fixture.

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams do best on sandbed with strong lighting.

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm a little confused. I was always told that Crocea and Maximas are rock dwelling clams and Derasa's and Squamosa's are sand dwelling. But everytime I see a pic of a max or crocea, they are in the sand bed. There has only been a few time where I saw a max or crocea dwelling in the rock. What gives?
Clams do best on sandbed with strong lighting.

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Maximas on my rock very high in the tank. They seem to do better when they can attach to something. If you want to place them on the sandbed I would suggest putting a small piece of rock under the clam so it can attach.

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all the pics of the clams in the sandbed I see are attached to something? I'm asking because I love clams and hope to acquire a clam or three once my tank is mature enough. Even the pic above has the clam in the sandbed. Are your clams attached to some rock dkerns?

slyforestfire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a current usa marine pro and a marineland double bright. both led. my maxima has its home halfway up, on a rock, in my 46 bowfront. had him for a lil over a month and is doing well. hasnt doubled in size but is certainly bigger now.

pecman347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Maximas on my rock very high in the tank. They seem to do better when they can attach to something. If you want to place them on the sandbed I would suggest putting a small piece of rock under the clam so it can attach.
IME I've seen the same. Just make sure that they like the spot they're in, or they'll keep falling/moving on you.

pecman347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh... just looked up the fixture. DEFINITELY not enough light output on that to support a clam, unfortunately. That's 46W of power divided into 192 LEDs, so each LED is like a 1/4W chip... the light output wouldn't be strong enough to support a clam. I've tinkered with a lot of led's, and really the only success I've had is with the 3W chips and up, regardless of sheer number of chips on the fixture.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back