Please Help me Help my Clam!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH!! My clam sits on an empty half shell. In the 3yrs I've had her she's only attached once to the shell. A year ago she let loose her entire "foot" and has never grown another. ( I know their actually threads) Bristle Worms have always been an issue for her. They crawl right up inside of where the threads come from. I now believe this to be the reason for her not attaching. Could the worms be eating the threads?
I don't know how to keep them away from her!! It's no wonder she's never attached. I've been chasing them off and away for a long time but they come right back. I don't know what to do....

Last edited:
OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights have been on for 3hrs and still no mantle. Shell still slightly ajar. No reaction when I wave my hand over her. Put a pipet in a little way, she clamped shut but opened right away. I've little hope :(

Mtnbikedan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No good but what I actually ment was to pick up the clam and check the foot for any predator. It may be too late for that one but if you see anything it may save other clams that are in your system

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She doesn't have a foot. Hasn't for 2yrs. Never has attached to anything either. What threads she did have at one time she discarded in one big clump about a year ago.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep Coris Wrasses in my tank for this very reason. The clam does actually have a foot, what it has dispensed was a byssal mass of old threads. They do this from time to time and it's perfectly normal. From the sounds of it though your clam is probably not going to make it. I hope it does though, you can try and do a fresh water dip at this point.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^+1 id do a freshwater dip and clean it off with a toothbrush while your at it. Get a small bowl just big enough and place some sand that has no bristles in it. Keep her in the bowl for a few week to keep her from being harassed

Back