PAR Values

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know i've seen this here somewhere but cannot find it with the search function...

What are recommended PAR values for Clams and Corals and such ?

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know i've seen this here somewhere but cannot find it with the search function...

What are recommended PAR values for Clams and Corals and such ?

It depends on the species, the nutrient levels in the tank, available food, and acclimatization. Some chalices will do fine in as a little as 10 PAR and some Acros will do just fine at over 1000 PAR.

Generally speaking, things considered "low light" want 30-100 PAR, "medium light" somewhere between 100-200 PAR, and "high light" anything over that and those are very, very rough ranges. Normally, there is really no reason to go above 400 PAR at the top of your tank unless the lower parts of your tank are inadequate for what you want to keep down there since many corals, even acros, will start to become photo-inhibited above 400 PAR.

That said, "lower" light corals can be acclimated to be just fine in higher light levels if there are enough nutrients and food in the water column and many higher light corals will still do just fine in very little light. Some of my deepwater acros are in less than 75 PAR and are colored up beautifully. However, some corals are very picky and slightly too much light will easily bleach them and slightly less than optimal lighting will brown them.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the species, the nutrient levels in the tank, available food, and acclimatization. Some chalices will do fine in as a little as 10 PAR and some Acros will do just fine at over 1000 PAR.

Generally speaking, things considered "low light" want 30-100 PAR, "medium light" somewhere between 100-200 PAR, and "high light" anything over that and those are very, very rough ranges. Normally, there is really no reason to go above 400 PAR at the top of your tank unless the lower parts of your tank are inadequate for what you want to keep down there since many corals, even acros, will start to become photo-inhibited above 400 PAR.

That said, "lower" light corals can be acclimated to be just fine in higher light levels if there are enough nutrients and food in the water column and many higher light corals will still do just fine in very little light. Some of my deepwater acros are in less than 75 PAR and are colored up beautifully. However, some corals are very picky and slightly too much light will easily bleach them and slightly less than optimal lighting will brown them.

I really really wish there was a database that listed common PAR and water flow that each sub species of coral does best with. I know it would vary from region to region and coral to coral but it would help a lot (esp with zoas I think).

I am shooting for 200+ PAR on my next tank on the sandbed where i'll be keeping most of the clams. 200+ seems to be a good number from the searching I've done. Croceas might do well with more but can likely be acclimated.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept blue maxima in 500-800 and crocea 800-1000 plus with good results. Coral much lower PAR. Remember almost all clams are maricultured in outdoor raceways with little water over them and in full sun or with not much sun-netting for a bit of shade.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Ultra Maximas are doing great on the sand bed they love their light. My crocea i have had for about a year doing great as well. Although now it looks a little pinch in one spot but im sure its cause my blenny thinks thats a resting spot. I have since moved the rock and clam to the other side and it looks good... Although while inspecting it at night with a flash light... I noticed there are fish babies hiding out under the clam between the shell and the rock it is attached to. I'm Shocked to find fish babies in my tank. I posted in the fish discussion a video of them.
So back to lighting, my clams I think are super happy with my lighting....
Now back to what sparked me to bring the question up... I have a Slimer Acro that i had in the sand next to a clam... And it started bleaching, about 2-3 stalks were all white. So i moved it up towards the top of the tank and in a few days those white stalks are starting to look brown.
Thoughts?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back