Considering a clam.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried to keep clams before but I have always wanted to try. With my new tank set up I think I will be giving it a go but need some advice first.

First off I'm interested in Crocea clams because they have a great range of colors and smaller size. Is this a good choice for a first timer?

Second thing is lighting: I have a 4 bulb 24 watt t5ho fixture over my 29 gallon tank that is 18 inches deep. Is this enough light for these clams to be placed on the sand bed? Is there a good combo of bulbs that will help make it easier to keep clams? Right now I'm running 2 ati coral plus and 2 actinics.

Third is fish: The only fish in the tank right now is a tail spot blenny. I'm planning on adding 2 or 3 more. Any kind of fish I need to avoid besides angels?

Since it is a newer tank I'm not going to be adding a clam for a while, (probably after the first of the year) to let the tank get settled in and balance itself out.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be weary of some wrasses. Butterflies will also nip. IMO I don't think you have enough light to keep a tridacna long term. Your looking at 96 watts. Thats not a lot. You might be more successful with a t. derasa or t. squamosa but then again this is just my opinion. I would stay away from t. crocea and t. maxima if you do end up getting one.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks thats what I was wondering about the lights. I'm thinking about adding a couple of ecoxotic stunner strips. Do you think that would be enough with the t5s to keep one?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your speaking LED's I'm too sure. I'm a halide guy and personally I wouldn't keep any clam under anything less than a 250 watt metal halide.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept clams successfully under a 4 bulb T5 fixture, I'm sure many people do.

I do agree about the fish listed above and I'd like to throw in that snowflake eels love to eat clams too... Found that one out the hard way.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Skinz. I am going to be adding some leds to the fixture so that should put me in a better place as far as lighting goes.

Any chance I need to worry about my blenny? I've heard some bother clams.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterflies and cleaner wrasse cant be with the clams... but also you should have some kind of wrasses to eat the pyramid snails is you have issues with them.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blenny, he is always resting on my clams. It does not seem to be an issue at all on my maximas but my crocea did not like it at all.
Cant say why but after a year my crocea died.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Skinz. I am going to be adding some leds to the fixture so that should put me in a better place as far as lighting goes.

Any chance I need to worry about my blenny? I've heard some bother clams.

Depends on the blenny. As with all fishes that we throw in categories (Wrasses, Blennys, Anthias, etc) there are actually many very different species of each. Some can have completely different temperaments and habits then others.

I had a Flametail Blenny that I'm 99% sure took some bites out of my clams until I got rid of him. He was also a giant ***** and fought with everything in my tank got near him.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blenny is a very small (maybe 2") tailspot. Very timid and peaceful. So far he hasn't bothered anything in the tank.

Vividgraphx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a derasa under radion gen 3. It look great and is very healthy. The fish in helge tank are an algae blenny, engineer goby, two snowflake clowns, and I've also got a six line wrasse that I was a little weary about, but he doesn't bother the clam at all. Once in a while the algae blenny will take a little rest directly in the clam and it doesn't bother it at all. Led's were at 70% but are now at 55. I'll update if I see any changes, but the clam still looks awesome so I doubt it will change.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your lighting should be more then sufficent! especially if you are supplementing your T5's with the LED's . I have a Black and white Maxima and it loved my T5 setup , which was the same as yours a 4 bulb 25 watt, but that being said, i just changed to a Kessil A350w and the clam has never looked better! i think the addition of the UV really helps everything in the tank. Definitely seeing more coloration, but i also suppliment with a Current marine LED fixture.

MondoBongo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crocea should not be in the sand. it should be high up in the rock work. you can keep crocea under t5, but it is going to have to be **** close to the light source. i had mine in my 20 long QT tank for several months under t5, but it was literally 2" under the surface of the water. at round about 18" inches of depth with t5 light, i would be willing to wager a crocea will die from light starvation.

crocea are some of the most demanding in terms of their lighting requirements, and as far as i have seen, cannot be given too much light if acclimated properly. mine will actively orient himself to catch as much light as possible. i had to build it a new shelf in my DT when i moved it over. i had it about halfway down under my AI Vegas and it wasn't doing too well. moved it up about 6" as high as i could get it, and looks much better.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back