Why Is My Clam Dead This Morning?

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a clam a little over two weeks ago and now it's dead. So upset. Not even sure why it died.

Here's a pic. Anybody has any clue? I have another clam that is doing well. Both clams purchased from the same vendor.

This one is smaller but it's from ORA. Now the guarantee is over.

Here's a pic:

attachment.php

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew they seem to just go for no reason. I have a dersa that has been getting huge. I added a maxima from Pacific east aquaculture and it lasted 2 weeks. Mine could have died from a overdose of vinegar though. The little ones seem to not do so well.

silva218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a picture of the clam when you first received it? If so, the clam did not look good at this point... you should not be able to see the white inner shell of the clam normally. In other words, the mantle should normally be covering the white part of the shell. Also check for little white snails on the foot of the clam

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh No!!! The clam looked like it was doing well. I looked to see if there were any parasites but didn't see any. The foot is still there as well.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
clam is very sensitive to changes so for example is you bought a clam from your lfs and its just arrive for a few days then you brought it home. That clam go through 4 different water parameter in a short period of time therefore they are stress out and die. So it will be best that you can buy clam that come from fellow reefer or stay at least a week at lfs.

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, I disagree. I did a very long acclimation process for at least two hours and I received it from a reputable online vendor. I had the clam for about 2 weeks. I use to have clams in the past and I can tell you that clams were hardier in the past then they are now. Remember this is ORA maxima clam.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it mantle nipped by fish or shrimp ? If so, how often??? ORA is Just South me. They Are good people. Ditto on the contacting. My condolances. Love that Color pattern, as I'm sure you paid alot for him.

:sorry: Bummer

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think we all have had our share of bad luck with clams. Other than obvious injury, I personally think they just need ultra clean water. They cant tolerate elevated nitrate or phosphate levels.
They do seem to go overnight. Its very frustrating....

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I believe clams like nitrate. Even though it's an ORA clam I purchased it from a third party. They do have a 14 day guarantee but my clam croaked on the 15th day. Go figure.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had terrible luck with ORA clams. I will not buy another. I had a big maxima, 6-7" and a 9-10" derasa that were growing like weeds. Tons of new shell growth and I had to add tons of 2 part. Bought ORA squammy... not a single other change. Not one. Both the old clams caught "something" from the ORA and all died. Clearly some sort of infection, I tried treating the big guy in a hospital tank with different antibiotics that have been used for nems as a last measure, but I could see his gills becoming more infected...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back