Blue Maxima Clam

jamesm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a Blue Maxima Clam to my tank. Where would be the best placement for the clam? I have attached a picture of what the tank looks like currently. It is somewhat of a new tank. It has been up and running for about 12 weeks. Everything in tank is looking good. This is my first Reef tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 737

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 1 maxima clan that died on me suddenly. i dont know what happen. but like you my reef was fairly new at around 3 months old. im unsure if this was a factor but i am still scared to get another.
but to answer your original question. i have read that they do best in the sand bed with moderate flow as they are filter feeders.

Archie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is on top of a rock in the middle of the tank. followed my led light's instructions on placement of clams. so far so good. i've had it for 4 months now and its growing new shells. responds quickly and is generally healthy. I have a crocea too that has been on the same place for almost 2 yrs now

Archie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is on top of a rock in the middle of the tank. followed my led light's instructions on placement of clams. so far so good. i've had it for 4 months now and its growing new shells. responds quickly and is generally healthy. I have a crocea too that has been on the same place for almost 2 yrs now

forgot to mention that my tank is 4 years old now this november. Reason I mentioned it is because I've read that clams should only be placed in mature tanks.. not sure if its right or wrong but I didnt get my first clam until my tank was over 2 yrs of age.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say stability is your best bet on on keeping one alive, if the parameters don't change much you should have success keep one. i had one top of my tank on the rock but they grow roots and attach to the rock and when it gets really big you tend to lose room to house it at the top of the tank. The sand bed is better with plenty of room for growth.

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 1 maxima clan that died on me suddenly. i dont know what happen. but like you my reef was fairly new at around 3 months old. im unsure if this was a factor but i am still scared to get another.
but to answer your original question. i have read that they do best in the sand bed with moderate flow as they are filter feeders.

Do not put a maxima on the sandbed, they have to be placed on rocks or they usually won't open.
Original poster, maxima's love light, so make sure it eventually goes to the top of your rockwork. Also make sure it's properly light acclimated, put it on a rock near the bottom of your tank, then slowly increase your lighting over a week's time. After it adjusts, start slowly placing it higher.

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for correcting me. now at least i know what i did wrong and hopefully car work up the courage to get another.

I just got mine a week or so ago, I've never even tried one or thought about it.. now it's thriving haha. No worries man, you should definitely try again.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 4 large ultra maximas, 5-7 inches, and all are in the sand. I tried placing them on rocks on the sand and they do not attach. In fact they move themselves off and topple over off the rock. I even had one rock that was shaped like a U so i placed it around the foot of the clam so it would cradle the clam and the clam cannot fall, and the clam wanted off that rock so bad it split the rock in 2 pieces completely apart. The rock was at least 1.5-2 inches thick.
Anyway, all my maximas open and extend their mantles fully.
The only clam i had that stood on its rock was my Crocea, it bored into the rock it was place on and never opened as much as my maximas, the mantle would come out about 1 inch only.
Also my LED are strong, they are about 18 inches above the tank and depending on how much intensity I ramp the lights to I can get a 200 PAR on my sand bed.

If your Lights are not strong, I would place it in that gap you have on the rocks in the middle of the tank. If they are I would personally put it in the middle on the sand. If you want rock placement and your lights are strong i would even put a rock under it on the sand. Again mine dont stay on their rocks.

Last edited:

JenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 maximas - one is 5 inches and on the sand bed. The other 3 are on top of rocks and super happy :) Actually one made his bed in the Zoas lol

OP
OP
jamesm

jamesm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will put it on the rock that is located bottom left corner od the tank to start. Thank you for info.

OP
OP
jamesm

jamesm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question. When you place the clam in the tank how do you know if it is upside down or not? Or is there a upside down? I placed him in the tank and both halves looked the same?

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that everyone loves to share info but sometimes misinformation gets repeated. Clams like all our inhabitants thrive in stable parameters. They will attach to rock or substrate. If placed on sandbed, they will usually attach their foot to the bottom of the tank. Wherever the foot attaches , it is usually difficult to remove without harming the clam. You can place the clam on a flat rock or shell and then place it on sand or rockscape. So not only do clams filter feed but they also utilize photosynthesis. Adequate lighting is required so if placed on the sand bed, your lights need to be powerful enough to provide adequate light. Fish that nibble on the clam mantle threaten the clam because it will constantly close and open. Clams do have potential pests as well as some fish enjoy either eating them or knocking them over. They are beautiful critters

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that everyone loves to share info but sometimes misinformation gets repeated. Clams like all our inhabitants thrive in stable parameters. They will attach to rock or substrate. If placed on sandbed, they will usually attach their foot to the bottom of the tank. Wherever the foot attaches , it is usually difficult to remove without harming the clam. You can place the clam on a flat rock or shell and then place it on sand or rockscape. So not only do clams filter feed but they also utilize photosynthesis. Adequate lighting is required so if placed on the sand bed, your lights need to be powerful enough to provide adequate light. Fish that nibble on the clam mantle threaten the clam because it will constantly close and open. Clams do have potential pests as well as some fish enjoy either eating them or knocking them over. They are beautiful critters

Exactly.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once any clam gets large I recommend the sand bed. They all can do great there if your lights are strong enough. The reason being a new large maxima or even one that has been in your system a while can decide it wants to move. The damage a large heavy clam does to itself falling from rock can kill it, especially if its getting out back on the rock and falling multiple times. Large clams, even maximas above 6-7", in my experience stop attaching.

Yes maxima and crocea are wild rock clams, but we often can't dupilcate their preferred environment and they will thrive on the sand if everything else is good.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 4 large ultra maximas, 5-7 inches, and all are in the sand. I tried placing them on rocks on the sand and they do not attach. In fact they move themselves off and topple over off the rock. I even had one rock that was shaped like a U so i placed it around the foot of the clam so it would cradle the clam and the clam cannot fall, and the clam wanted off that rock so bad it split the rock in 2 pieces completely apart. The rock was at least 1.5-2 inches thick.
Anyway, all my maximas open and extend their mantles fully.
The only clam i had that stood on its rock was my Crocea, it bored into the rock it was place on and never opened as much as my maximas, the mantle would come out about 1 inch only.
Also my LED are strong, they are about 18 inches above the tank and depending on how much intensity I ramp the lights to I can get a 200 PAR on my sand bed.

If your Lights are not strong, I would place it in that gap you have on the rocks in the middle of the tank. If they are I would personally put it in the middle on the sand. If you want rock placement and your lights are strong i would even put a rock under it on the sand. Again mine dont stay on their rocks.

I didn't notice this post. Pretty much same thing I have noticed but with more detail!

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question. When you place the clam in the tank how do you know if it is upside down or not? Or is there a upside down? I placed him in the tank and both halves looked the same?
i interpret upside down as the mantle in the sand which i think is pretty obvious…
if your referring to inlet/mouth vs outlet/butt it doesn't matter… they micro filter water, just make sure you don't block them.
depending on the shape of the clam and surrounding rocks or other tank mates is how i place mine. whether i am looking at the mouth or butt from the front glass is just preference. I try to accommodate the saying of placing their foot by a rock in case they want to attach to something…
Hope that helped some...

OP
OP
jamesm

jamesm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out of town for a night and when I got home something ate the clam. I know it wasn't the clown fish's or the small Gobie. I am suspecting the hermit crab. Will a hermit crab eat a clam?

Back