Naughty tangs!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang troubles!

I once had a kole tang that nipped my clam mantle, sounds crazy right!?! I hear only good things about those guys and how safe they are so I figured it was just a isolated case, so I gave him away. I had always wanted a white-tail tang instead, but never saw them for sale.

So LA gets them in finally, $300 bucks is a lot of money for me, but I had waited about two years so I picked on up! Right away he really had a taste for fleshy LPS, I gave a dragon soul brain and a large wellso away, he had really done some damage to them, but nothing else. My excitement over him was consideraly less after that, but after giving the fleshy green LPS away he seemed good. Months and months pass and without incident, but then I notice my large gorg isn't opening - I really like that corky finger gorg, it's pretty big and a neat conversation piece. After a while I notice when he swims by bites the gorg hard enough to move the small rock it's on and pulls it across the tank! Not only that but he now developed a taste for zoas. I have a few pretty zoa rocks and he was just wrecking one, the prettiest one of course. I was thinking what am I going to do, but then I saw him go after a clam mantle. No this wasn't pecking at the shell... Clear and hard bites when the clam was extended. So it was time to remove the rock and drain the tank to catch him. I am still amazed how much damage that guy did.

So after that things are happy again, everyone extending again, but I notice my prize maxima isn't opening. I couldn't see anything wrong but was concerned after two days of being closed up. So I watch for a few days, my purple tang was going after them! I saw him bite 3 different clams smack in the middle of the mantle. So another draining and he lives in a QT system now while I decide what to do. I don't' know if the clams will survive now, they are pretty weakened. I am thinking I will wait a while and see if they recover. If not I will consider putting the purple back in and just not having clams.

I know many people have tangs with clams without issue for years, but this is 3 for 3 for nipping mantles. I am now done with tangs and clams. FYI the kole was in a 65, and the white tail and purple were in a 120. They are not underfed! I have an apex autofeeder for 5x/day feedings along with nori everyday and LRS reef frenzy and frozen blackworms. Both tangs were super fat, enough that I was going to cut down on the feedings.

So just FYI use the term "reef safe" with caution when you have clams! If you have any strange issues just keep watching the tank for fish nipping, you never know.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree !!!!
I had all my 5-7 inch clams die mysteriously... My Goni is almost dead. etc....
When i finally saw my Powder Blue "reef Safe" Tang nipping at everything....
he was fat from stealing everyones food, pellets, sea weed, anything i put in there... and my clams, and my goni anything...
Hes gone now. I am trying to save my red encrusting goni. It was about 6 plus inches over a rock and now is almost nothing.
Really upset about my clams too !!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple nips mantles too... I think he starts when they start dying though I ordered two that were poorly shipped on ebay in the winter and died in a few days and she picked at them, did same for a couple I had for years when my params went out of wack and killed off my clams she picked at the stringy crap

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree !!!!
I had all my 5-7 inch clams die mysteriously... My Goni is almost dead. etc....
When i finally saw my Powder Blue "reef Safe" Tang nipping at everything....
he was fat from stealing everyones food, pellets, sea weed, anything i put in there... and my clams, and my goni anything...
Hes gone now. I am trying to save my red encrusting goni. It was about 6 plus inches over a rock and now is almost nothing.
Really upset about my clams too !!!

Oh man, sorry to hear that! Some days this hobby feels like 1 step forward 5 steps back.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple does not nip at any of my corals, and never saw her nip at clams when i had them

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple does not nip at any of my corals, and never saw her nip at clams when i had them
i think she's nipping because it looks like algae floating off the clam when its dying (stringy nastiness) and I feed them clam pieces occasionally so when they can get it fresh from a dying clam- even better!

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah that might not help the fact.... i have angels in my tank and they never nipped at the clams either but i dont feed them clam though.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL i thought same about my Powder blue, was thinking of giving it another shot but too risky.
Was actually thinking of getting 1-3 Yellow tangs at once... wonder if it would be ok.
6 foot long 150 gal

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo, yellow and a vlamingi tang... the yellow and vlamingi killed one of my acans and I don't know which one is also nipping at my clam. When I get my new tank I don't think I'll be getting any more tangs.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's a bummer. The purple tang was the "star" of my tank! I am not going to risk it again though. I wonder how many clam deaths result from fish but are never noticed.

Kennyb1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tangs are a force to be reconed with in a reef tank lol. Mine has been nothing but a terror for the most part. He ate a goniapora and has murdered 3 fairy wrasses 3 leopard wrasses and an Xmas wrasse. If he wasn't such a healthy beautiful fish he'd already be gone lol. The attachments just to great :'(.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years.. 13 different size tanks and different corals... And better part of 15 different tang species mostly zebrasoma and Bristle tooth species with blue tangs.. Atlantic blue and Caribbean blues.. Have the same 2 squamoasa for 5 years and they moved around to a few tanks.. And tons of acans trachys zoas Gorgis goniopora acros cyphastrea leathers.. Never once had a tang nip, sorry for your misfortune, I've also always used selcon to boost amino acid and hufa(highly unsaturated fatty acid) compounds to frozen and I only feed once per day with 1 day of fasting every week at random. My fish are of healthy weight and sizes.. I wonder if even with heavier feedings these guys were missing something in the diet, what brands of foods do you guys use this thread has got me curious :)

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say to feed them more. Never had a tang nip anything but algae, but fish tend to misbehave when they are hungry.

10 years.. 13 different size tanks and different corals... And better part of 15 different tang species mostly zebrasoma and Bristle tooth species with blue tangs.. Atlantic blue and Caribbean blues.. Have the same 2 squamoasa for 5 years and they moved around to a few tanks.. And tons of acans trachys zoas Gorgis goniopora acros cyphastrea leathers.. Never once had a tang nip, sorry for your misfortune, I've also always used selcon to boost amino acid and hufa(highly unsaturated fatty acid) compounds to frozen and I only feed once per day with 1 day of fasting every week at random. My fish are of healthy weight and sizes.. I wonder if even with heavier feedings these guys were missing something in the diet, what brands of foods do you guys use this thread has got me curious :)

Curious to know your experience with the blue tangs. I can't find much info on them. Did they get aggressive?

briansc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a problem with a purple tang. He being my prized fish with a price of 300$ off of the divers den he was a marauder in my tank. Killing a host of fish and terrorizing every new addition I made the the tank. His day finally came when he started going after my full grown clarkii pair named the griswolds. caught him in a fish trap and sold him to a buddy for 80$. They're still my favorite fish though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my video, but I figure it applies to this thread ;)

[video=youtube;M5_hO4OWea0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_hO4OWea0[/video]

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More detail on feedings:

Apex autofeeder that delivers 5x/day (about 1 pinch worth of the CD pellets), always fresh nori in tank (generally 3x3 strip), LRS reef frenzy 2x/day (1x1 or larger 2x/day), frozen blackworms daily (1 cube), cobalt flakes (1 pinch several times a day), spectrum pellets (1x/day).

I also feed mysis, rods veggie, cyclopeeze but not everyday. I heavy carbon dose as I feed lots. Than there is the coral food some of which they pick at. Docs brew eggs, large pellet reef frenzy, oysterfeast, the rest is too small.

Of course I don't feed that now that the tangs are in prison. I was considering cutting back on the feedings as the purple was starting to get pretty thick in the belly (as I call myself).

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back