Starfish on clams.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I bought (what I was told) a red knobby seastar. I can't seem to find on that looks like this one. From my research it shows that red knobby seastars can eat clams. The one I have really gets around my tank, and I have seen it on each of my clams. It was only on the shell and never touched the mantle (from what I saw). I just wanted to see what you guys think. I don't want to lose my clams, but I really do like the star. So if it may not be a problem I would like to leave it in the tank. Again it has been on every clam I have and has not done any damage to them that I can tell.

a6937b8f-8013-f4bf.jpg

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kinda what I was thinking but I thought someone may have some experience. :) I'll be the guinea pig!

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this the same one as on live aquaria? red thorny starfish they say not reef safe

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. The picture doesn't look the same at all, but it has the same name that I was sold this as. So I'm not positive it is or isn't.

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very bad idea, IMO/E. As a general rule of thumb, if a starfish is "spiked" (chocolate chip, crown of thorns, etc) they should not be considered reef/clam safe.

There are some smooth bodied starfish that will also eat clams - the ones I am aware of come from the Sea of Cortez, and yes I have found out the hard way :(

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of the spiked thing. I have been keeping a close eye on it. I am assuming that if it decides to start munching on one it will go onto the mantle. Is this correct?

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it'll sit on top of the clam, pry it open and expel it's stomach into the clam and digest it's innards

This is a cold water clam/star, but illustrates my point:
p1000125.jpg

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks. That's what I figured. It has been on the shell with no sign of aggression. I will keep an eye on it for sure.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not personally recommend it as it really does resemble a chocolate chip starfish. But with all things if you want to keep it then keep it. Just keep an eye on it and be educated on the potential risk. Typically it isn't an "if" but a "when" it will happen.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back